What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Main Wheel Pants Valve Stem Access Hole?

boearl

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi Folks, So as not to reinvent the wheel, anyone have ideas concerning how access to the tire valve stem without removing the main wheel pants?

Regards

Yep - replace the stock tubes with ones with 90 degree valves (available at Desser Tire). Add a small hole in the wheel pant and a valve stem extender like this one: http://www.cleavelandtool.com/5-Valve-Stem-Extension/productinfo/VSE5/#.XOsi7oopChA

Align the valve stem with the small hole in the wheel pant, then put a mark on the tire at the bottom so you can see when the tire valve stem is aligned so that you can just insert the extension into the valve stem.

Carl

Skybolt??

Consider using skybolt fasteners to attach the wheel pants. I did all 3 of mine. Can remove all 3 in less than 5 minutes. Replacing is ez too. No access hole required.

Consider using skybolt fasteners to attach the wheel pants. I did all 3 of mine. Can remove all 3 in less than 5 minutes. Replacing is ez too. No access hole required.

Keith,
I'm getting ready to start my wheel pants shortly. Can you upload some pictures of your skybolt fasteners? Thanks!

Skybolt pix

These are the best of what I have already. I think u?ll get the idea of how I did them. These are smaller than the cowl fasteners. They are the same size as a #8 with a tinnerman washer. Over 330 hours, 200+ landings and no problems. I have to give credit to Reuven Silverman. He did same and and I saw them when I did my transition training with him in 2017.

Looks like you have skybolts on your fairing to airplane attachments. On most -10?s the hard to get to screws are the front half to back half of fairings screws, especially the lowest ones. Every year I say I?m going to find some allen head equivalents, then I forget. Until next time.

Mine is a 7A, so could be different from than the 10. No screws at all. Front to back halves are also Skybolts. I added 2 layers of Fiberglas reinforcement for each receptacle.

Back