What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Missing RV-10 QB Fuselage Rivets?

rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
I'm puzzled by about 18 rivets left out on each side of my RV10 QB fuselage around the cabin door area. Am I missing something in a later stage? Does anyone know why these are left out? Are other QBs the same way? :confused:

The doors need to be held in place with tabs of alum/clecos when you bond the inner and outer parts together.

Look ahead to the door const part, I suspect you will find the missing rivet holes are for the cleco used in this step.

Good luck.

These are used when the inner/outer door shells are bonded together. The door is initially cut oversize and the outer shell has a couple of index holes that will align with rivet holes forward and aft of the door frame. Clecos are inserted in these to align the door to the fuselage. The other holes along the bottom of the frame get match drilled (sort of) into the door overhang and are simply there to hold the bottom of the door against the fuselage while the epoxy sets up bonding the two parts together.

Bob #40105

Thanks guys, I've just started on the finishing plans and hadn't got to the dreaded doors yet. I figured they were not in there for a reason.:)

I know this is an old thread... but I wanted to ask about these "missing" rivets.

Once you've aligned the doors, is there any reason to wait to

- countersink the holes
- fill the holes with rivets?

I can't find a place SPECIFICALLY in the plans that is telling me to fill those holes, and part of my mind still yearns for the early days, when the plans told me literally everything I had to do. I don't think I've cracked them open in months, with all this cabin top sanding work.

Thanks!

I know this is an old thread... but I wanted to ask about these "missing" rivets.

Once you've aligned the doors, is there any reason to wait to

- countersink the holes
- fill the holes with rivets?

Thanks!

No reason. THey have no other purpose.

Back