What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtip epoxy

Rob H

Well Known Member
For all of you RV12 builders, I'm working on the fiberglass extension that holds the wingtip strobe/light. It calls for epoxy and flox to build up the area where it seats against the outer flange rib.
Also, in a later step, I need to put proseal under the inner side to seal to the skin.
What specific products are recommended and where do I order from?

Rob,
I believe most use West Systems. If there is a West Marine near you, you can just pick it up. If not Aircraft Spruce has it for reasonable price. That is what I used on my 9A but model doesn't matter as far as epoxy goes. Im sure others work, but I know West Systems does. They have great instructions and videos.

Find a friend that has built boats or surfboards and get them to give you a few pointers. It is not as bad as people think, but there are tricks to make things easier.

Have fun.

For all of you RV12 builders, I'm working on the fiberglass extension that holds the wingtip strobe/light. It calls for epoxy and flox to build up the area where it seats against the outer flange rib.
Also, in a later step, I need to put proseal under the inner side to seal to the skin.
What specific products are recommended and where do I order from?

I second using West Systems for the epoxy. You can get that from ACS, along with cotton filler, but you can also buy it from Amazon. For around the edges, all it really requires is an adhesive sealer. Van's recommend pro-seal because, and I quote, "we have a lot of it laying around here" - but any good, paintable sealant will work. I recommend DAP Dyanflex 230. It's about $4 from your local hardware store in a large tube, is paintable, and works very well; with the added advantage that you can remove it if ever needed to. An occupational hazard of mine is that I'm always thinking "how will I work on that?". The Dynaflex can be removed with Lift-Off pretty easily; Pro-Seal? not so much...

Last edited:
The fiberglass resins available in lots of different places are essentially all suitable for the job. The advantage with west is that it meters precise amounts and it's very easy to store and instantly use. Once I started using it I would never use anything different

Back