What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tie downs

jpowell13

Well Known Member
We had a little wind at Baton Rouge airport night before last. The Cessna was next to my 6A on the right, and the Piper was a couple of planes over to the left. I've always focused on making sure my plane was well secured, but never thought much about the planes around mine. We have several abandoned planes on the south ramp at BTR. An old Rockwell with flat tires parked right next to me has those cheap ratcheting straps to hold it down. When I looked at them, I saw they were totally rotted so I went ahead and bought some nylon rope and secured it better. It would be a shame to see all your hard work wiped out by a plane that takes off without a pilot on board. John

2w3tg0o.jpg

iljgp5.jpg

That's right - the planes around yours need to be tied down well, too. That sort of fratricide is not uncommon.

However, I'd like to make one suggestion - next time, don't get nylon. Get polyester or one of the marine high-tech ropes. They don't stretch as much and often it's the stretch that leads to the plane bouncing or moving around and then the dynamic overload causes the failure.

Dave

Back