What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric flaps

merlin3

Well Known Member
Looking to convert to electric flaps over the winter and just wondering which of the two kits that vans sells to buy. Is the one with the replacement weldment really worth $160 more? Whats the big difference?

Depends on how much work you want to do. The weldment has to be modified for electric flaps. Do you want to do it or pay vans to do it?

Bob burns
Rv-4 N82rb

A couple other choices..

The VANS electric flap system option locates the actuator under the floor, and has a bellcrank that actuates a re-designed weldment with no manual handle attachment, and an additional attachment for the actuator pushrod linkage. Its a nice system that works well, however, I have seen several builder designed systems that locate the actuator vertically along the fuselage bulkhead below the roll bar, and utilize the existing manual weldment with some slight modification. Search around, and you will find pictures of this type set-up. I used the factory under floor set-up, which was easy to install during the build, and I bought it all with the fuselage kit.

Back