What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baffles

Trevor778

Well Known Member
I have a question regarding the baffles. I purchased a 0-360-a4m off of a 172 that nosed over. Sent it away for the prop strike inspection all is good. With the engine I got all accessories and the baffle kit. All have just under 200 hrs since new. How hard would it be to adapt the baffles that came off of the 172 to fit my 7? Or should I just buy the baffle kit that vans sells?

I would suggest you get the baffle drawings from Vans then compare. That way you will have some definitive information. No one knows what you have to answer. Just me.

It's ypur call.

I have a question regarding the baffles. I purchased a 0-360-a4m off of a 172 that nosed over. Sent it away for the prop strike inspection all is good. With the engine I got all accessories and the baffle kit. All have just under 200 hrs since new. How hard would it be to adapt the baffles that came off of the 172 to fit my 7? Or should I just buy the baffle kit that vans sells?

It is possible to do almost anything, given time and money. I would not do this as a first choice. I think you would be time and better served to just order the 7 baffle kit and make a good tight neat fit the first try.
Just my two pennies, Yours as always, R.E.A. III #80888
P.S. And think about down the road when you need a part out of the baffle kit to fix one section. It will be a lot less cost and time to just pick up the phone and call Van's with the part number of that segment that needs replacing. Rather than taking flat sheet and making it from scratch.

Buy the kit

I just had the experience of having a baffle set from a salvaged plane. Thought this was going to save time and money . Wrong. I ended up buying the parts from Vans a piece at a time trying to make them work. Ended up building all new from Vans parts but spending way more then their kit.

Back