What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Trailing Edge Dent (Oops)

Hi folks,

Well, a momentary lack of sense while rearranging the very tight garage workspace led to my leaning my right elevator haphazardly against an unstable structure, which predictably (in hindsight), caused it to tip over and hit the edge of my wing stand pretty hard. After many cuss words, I found the dent below in the trailing edge (which led to more cuss words).

I'm feeling fairly confident that this will require me to replace the skin, and while I will attempt to drill out all the rivets without blowing out holes in the spar and ribs, I'm not confident I will get through them all without making at least one show-stopping mistake (it will be good practice, I guess). In any case, I'm figuring I'm most likely rebuilding the right elevator from scratch to make up for my stupidity.

That said, wondering if anybody thinks this is safely repairable, and if so, if you can guide me to a YouTube video or something describing the technique I would use to even attempt this. I've thought about bringing it to a dent repair place before throwing in the towel , but it's bad enough that I'm not sure it's worth it. Thoughts?

i-tdTWWTP-X2.jpg

i-3rTFhG6-X2.jpg

Repair

I wouldn't because it's fairly easy and quick to build a new one. That said, I'm sure someone on here knows how it can be fixed and will post it soon.

Since it is close to the tip, you may be able to smooth it out with a rounded end steel rod the same diameter as the trailing edge inside diameter. Inserted through the end rib gap.

Since it is close to the tip, you may be able to smooth it out with a rounded end steel rod the same diameter as the trailing edge inside diameter. Inserted through the end rib gap.

So...dumb question--just get a steel rod with said diameter and gently roll it against the indentation with the hopes of pushing it back out? Do I hit it with the rod and try to pound it out, or is it just a matter of applying pressure? Does heating it help, or does that cause damage to the allow in some fashion?

2024 T3 doesn't form very well. It doesn't like to be manipulated like some alloys. So, it may be possible to repair, but as others suggest, it might be easier to replace the skin.
Read up on how to remove rivets. It isn't intuitive.

Practice

Maybe buy the whole elevator.
Consider the old one practice. Drill it apart and get really skilled.

Maybe buy the whole elevator.
Consider the old one practice. Drill it apart and get really skilled.

I didn't say that, but that's what I'll do. The few extra parts won't cost that much when I'm already paying to ship the skin, I'm sure, but it will be good to practice my rivet removal skills on a dead part...

Back