What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving Wings & Emphanage

RudysRV7

Good Morning

I'll will be moving my project to Washington, from CA.
The wing & emphanage kit is complete.

Vans sent me photos of the crates they build, for the QB wing kits.

Does anyone out there have a material list or cut list for these crates?

I welcome all suggestions. There will be other household items in the Uhaul.
The more consolidated, the better.

Cheers!

Rudy

When I moved from Atlanta to Houston, I had the completed empennage kit to deal with. I built moving fixtures of my own design for those, it was relatively straightforward. I don't have any plans or exact dimensions, but here's a photo of the horizontal stab fixture:

E9BOXaS.jpg

Basically, there's a full-height plank on the far side at the center of the fixture. Mounted on that, and tying into the short vertical plank on the front side, is one wooden block that the spar rests on. The second wooden block on top "traps" the spar and holds the stab in place from the center.

On the edges, I made U-shaped blocks out of 2x4s that fit snugly around the elevator horns just behind the counterweights. Each of those is supported by a wooden block below it, screwed into the "perimeter" frame. The general idea is that the spar bears almost all of the weight, and the elevator blocks are just there to prevent movement.

I chose to leave these fixtures open on the sides, but with a bit of tweaking, it shouldn't be hard to sheath both sides in plywood.

I still have the vertical stab + rudder in their fixture back at home - I can take photos of that and post tonight if you'd like to see them.

I don't have direct advice on the wings, though - mine were still in pile o' parts form for the big move. They did get moved across town here in Houston, along with the fuselage canoe - I just used a dedicated Uhaul rental for that. The wings I just left in their storage cradle. For a long distance move, I can see myself having just fabricated additional structure around the cradle to protect things. It wouldn't be very space-efficient, though.

Last edited:
Do you have a wing cradle already? That should suffice. I don't think there's a need for elaborate crates/fixtures for the empennage; just a liberal use of padded moving blankets.

Back