Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2019, 06:44 AM

Default Who else had/has second thoughts?

I would like to thank anyone in advance for commenting on their feelings.
I have dreamed of building a plane with my father. As the adage goes ďWe had time and no money. Now I have money and no timeĒ. My father passed several years ago so now I want to build but with my wife and kids. This is an expensive endeavor and will take many years. How many of you had seconds thoughts before buying the kit? I have been watch a couple guys on YouTube build for years and they do talk about the difficulties but have no kids. Mine are little but getting to do this project would create life long memories not to mention getting to fly places once done.
Did anyone think this is crazy, what am I doing, why am I considering this, or is this even worth it? I know that in the end getting to fly around with my family is fun for me but what if they want nothing to do with it? I guess Iím just looking to hear that Iím not along in thinking this is a crazy long process that could potentially fail. I donít want to fail but family comes first. I want to do this with them, not against them. I donít want to be selfish with my time or money. Money in a plane takes away from other buckets of money. That said, I donít want to wait until Iím 60 and then not have ďtimeĒ with my family in the plane. Canít have it all in life.
Thanks again for anything you all have to say.

Dave
Old 08-09-2019, 07:28 AM

I don't think there's been any part of the build process where I haven't had second thoughts from time to time. The first big one came when the preview plans showed up. I spent ten minutes looking at them and in that time was completely overwhelmed. A day or two later I picked them up again and it was all better.

And that's a theme that's repeated itself throughout the build. Building is a near-constant process of learning new skills and solving new problems, and every once in a while something frustrating comes up and makes me wonder if I can actually finish this thing. And just like that first day with the preview plans, when I come back after having slept on it, everything's OK again.

The one bit of advice I'll give, to you and anyone else considering building, is to make sure you look at the build process as something to be enjoyed on its own merits, not simply a chore that has to be completed to get a flying airplane. Building will take up far more of your time, money, and brain cycles than you think, and the only way to reliably get over the inevitable humps and obstacles is to be thinking about "keep building." In my mind, the knowledge that I'll eventually have a great airplane at the end of this project is almost a side effect. In the here and now, airplane-building is just another extracurricular activity.
https://www.meetup.com/Houston-Area-RV-Enthusiasts/
Old 08-09-2019, 07:30 AM

I started my -8 in late 1999 and first flew it in Nov 2016. In the interim, I moved 3 times, and started a small business. I did not work on the plane for at least 10 of those years and I was encouraged to sell the project. In fact, I ended up selling an engine and prop in those 10 years because I wasn't making progress on it. I am not the kind to say quit. In fact, I tell people my motto is "too stupid to quit". For me, it was not only a desire to finish the plane, it was a desire to prove them all wrong and make them admit it (which they happily did).

Bottom line is that life will throw you curves in the process and it's up to you how you deal with them. In the end, there's you need only one tool to finish these projects, and that's grim determination.

Of course, the RV-14 kits are easiest and anyone taking more than a few months to complete one is a putz
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Whirlwind 200RV CS Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
www.marksrv8.com
Old 08-09-2019, 07:35 AM

Thank you. I feel the build is what I will enjoy the most also. The flying plane is just an extra bonus.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:49 AM

Absolutely this +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by N546RV View Post
The one bit of advice I'll give, to you and anyone else considering building, is to make sure you look at the build process as something to be enjoyed on its own merits, not simply a chore that has to be completed to get a flying airplane.
First Flight July 26th, 2014
530 hours and counting . . . .
Now based at Moontown (3M5)
Old 08-09-2019, 07:58 AM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadBod Builder View Post
I donít want to fail but family comes first. I want to do this with them, not against them. I donít want to be selfish with my time or money.
Your priorities are commendable and will keep you on the path to making this project happen in a manner so your family will share in the endeavor. Trust your judgment, you will be fine.....and enjoy the journey!
Old 08-09-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadBod Builder View Post
Thank you. I feel the build is what I will enjoy the most also. The flying plane is just an extra bonus.
You're smart to be taking a hard look at this before taking the plunge. It's a huge time commitment and the "life long memories" you create for your family might not necessarily be good ones for them. I guess what I'm trying to say is make sure that your dream is their dream as well.

Best of luck with your decision.

Jim

2006 Rans S-6S Coyote (flying)
Old 08-09-2019, 08:39 AM

My only regrets/second thoughts are:

(1) Not starting sooner - I've always known I wanted to build (at least since we built my dad's -6), but didn't get serious about saving up and getting started for a few years after getting out of school. I could have gotten more done and been further along by this point, but I spent that time and money on other things (coughMBAcough) for a while first.

(2) Building my workshop - This one is a mixed case; I love having the space (vs. the one-car garage I was in before) and it's great to work in, but building it locked us into our current house for a while and for the money I spent, I could have bought most of my panel. Again, mixed blessing.

We've faced some challenges in the past couple years (see build thread) and having a young child makes progress slow at times, but on the bright side I should still be flying around the time my son is old enough to really appreciate it. I was fortunate that I was able to come home and fly with Dad during college; my son will grow up with the airplane at home.

One thing I did learn from my workshop though--sometimes certain steps or procedures will seem really daunting and you'll think "how in the heck am I going to do all that?". In those cases, you'll think over it for a while and then eventually you just have to jump in somewhere and start doing it and you figure it out as you go. Foundation prep, doors/windows, and air conditioning were those things on the shop; so far on the airplane it's been flight surface rigging/drilling, fuel routing, and engine mount drilling.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:50 AM

Default Do it, and don't look back.

There are those builders who have no distractions, and there are the ones like yourself that have responsibilities and "life happens" things on a daily basis. If the build is a dream, then do it. I built my -4 over a 15yr. period that included 4 moves, 2 kids, building a house, changing jobs and going through a divorce. The building the plane part was always the one thing to take away from the stress of life's obstacles. My youngest son was by my side in the shop from the time he was 1 year old until the first flight when he was 16. He is now 26 and a aircraft mechanic working with me on the "big stuff". For anyone building virtually any RV design, as long as you maintain quality and documentation, chances are if you throw in the towel for any reason, it can be sold without fearing a terrible $$ loss. Build it!
Old 08-09-2019, 09:06 AM

Default Investment

The less money I had invested in the project, the more doubts I had. I got easily discouraged and quit for almost a year when I ran up against a snag on the empennage. The more kits/money, the easier it was for me to find motivation and determination.

I did the best I could to involve my family and even foreign exhchage students. I have their signatures on hidden parts they helped me build. It makes me smile when finding their mark when opening an inspection panel now and then.

Best of luck with your build!