VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-29-2015, 09:05 AM

Default Changing lives.

We needed a 4 place and didn't have time to build so the plan was to sell the 7. My 14 year old made this. I don't think he wants me to sell it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHYTEtkP7Y0
Old 10-29-2015, 09:58 AM

Just food for thought -- how often will you really fill 3 or 4 seats? If it's just for an occasional vacation trip, you might be better off keeping your 7 and renting something larger when you need the extra seats. I know it's hard to think of renting when you're an owner, but sometimes it makes sense.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 10-29-2015, 10:22 AM

Default How to rent a 4 seater for a trip?

Our RV-4 fills 90% of our mission requirement and we can only afford one airplane so we keep the RV-4 even though we wish we had a 4 seat airplane for family trips. So how do you rent a 4 seat airplane for those trips? The FBO will rent me an airplane but not if I want to take it anywhere. So what are you guys doing that always say to rent the 4 seater, what kind of deal do you guys have and how do you make it work?
We build many of your RV weldments.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ McCutcheon View Post
The FBO will rent me an airplane but not if I want to take it anywhere.
What? I've never heard of FBO not renting for the purposes of a X-country. Now I've seen plenty of limitations based upon ratings and such, but never an outright prohibition.

The biggest impediment that I've seen has been scheduling and aircraft availability.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 10-29-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
What? I've never heard of FBO not renting for the purposes of a X-country. Now I've seen plenty of limitations based upon ratings and such, but never an outright prohibition.

The biggest impediment that I've seen has been scheduling and aircraft availability.
They will rent it for CC but if you’re going to keep it for the day or a weekend they require something like 4 hours minimum per day so it costs $400 per day for the old Cessna 172
We build many of your RV weldments.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:50 AM

That's pretty typical and reasonable too. Remember you are taking their income generating asset out of service while it's in your possession. Without these types of rules, you would probably never be allowed to take the aircraft on a cross country.

Yes, its expensive when you do the analysis on a single trip. However, I'm willing to bet it's probably less expensive than upgrading your RV-7 to a RV-10 if you only need it a couple times a year.

I'm on the other side of that curve. I've got RV-10, but only usually fly with two people. But you sure can haul quite a bit of baggage when you aren't flying with four!
Old 10-29-2015, 10:57 AM

I ran into the same issue. The local FBO had a 3 hour/day minimum, so if you wanted to take it for several days you'd pay quite a bit. Of course they rented Cherokees, so you'd rack up a few days' worth of time just getting somewhere.

I joined a flying club that had no such restriction, and the wet rates on the club planes were much lower too. The down side was a minimum $100 per month or so expense for dues and minimum flying time. Of course I was building then, so it was the only flying I did and was pretty reasonable. Doesn't matter how you do it, it's going to be expensive.

If I were not LSA-limited now, I'd be talking to other E/AB owners to see if we could work out some sort of airplane sharing arrangement. Maybe a 10 owner somewhere near you would like to borrow a 4 for some cheaper solo time or occasional acro.

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
Old 10-29-2015, 11:13 AM

There's lots of options...

Clubs work well... some have low dues, reasonable rental rates, and usually no daily minimums. The time you fly in a club plane to stay current will also give you some time to offer rides to people who are less "experimental" in nature.

Throw in some availability to fly while you're off line for maintenance or annual, maybe a plane you'd be more comfortable in IFR, etc... loads of reasons.

Once you know what "most of your flying" is, how many "need more" flying you expect you can get out the old excel worksheet and find the answer.

But remember, if you're going to go with club/rental for the bigger need flights, fly that plane often enough to be proficient. We're not talking about having smart car and rushing over to the rental desk when you need a suburban.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:29 AM

Default My usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
Just food for thought -- how often will you really fill 3 or 4 seats? If it's just for an occasional vacation trip, you might be better off keeping your 7 and renting something larger when you need the extra seats. I know it's hard to think of renting when you're an owner, but sometimes it makes sense.
Everyone has a different mission. For the past 4.5 years I have the following usage:

- 24.2% Solo
- 31.9% Dual
- 17.8% with 3
- 25.4% with 4

That is a total of 43.2% of my flight time with 3 or more. And as mentioned before, when flown with 1-2 I sure have a lot of room for bikes, luggage, beer, etc.!

Also note a significant number of the solo and dual flights were one leg on the way to pick up people from school, or bring folks back from fly-ins etc.

Take a close look at your projected missions to see how often you need more than 2 seats.

TJ
RV-10 N331JH 3rd owner (First flew in 2005, #15 flying)
Northwest Regional 52F
Old 10-29-2015, 02:04 PM

Talking

Steve,
That video says more about you and how you raised that boy than anything else. Well done amigo. Well done.

DM
oh, keep the plane...:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lutte View Post
We needed a 4 place and didn't have time to build so the plan was to sell the 7. My 14 year old made this. I don't think he wants me to sell it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHYTEtkP7Y0