VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-06-2015, 04:11 PM

Thumbs up The G3X Touch upgrade for Mikey

Louise decided to put me under for elective surgery last weekend and we all think the results will be pretty cool. We replaced the 7-inch G3X PFD and MFD with two touch screens...one large PFD for the pilot and one 7" MFD for the co-pilot. Louise says that with a two-pilot family, both she and Paul will be happier!

The new panel:

The "old" set-up:

The whole process only took about 6 hours of work. About half the time was cutting the new panel insert and cutting the hole on the right side for the little screen, then painting it. The wiring, re-lacing, and re-formating took the remaining time. We were able to preserve most of our setting, although we will go back up and re-set the AOA.

Unfortunately, the completion of the job coincided with a big wind event here so flying will have to wait a few days. However, Louise sat in me for awhile and told me that she very quickly figured out the key actions and interfaces with the new units. All of us are excited for our next cross-country. Paul says I get to go to Sun'n'Fun in April! I hope you come by and check me out.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:01 PM

Hi Mikey, I see you don't let Paul have full controls. That's OK, Louise has the big screen.

Nice Improvement!

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Repairman 11-15-18
Instrument Currency 12-17-18
Shrunken Exit = ??
No Photo? => PM me.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:05 PM
Forum Peruser

Wow! Me likey Mikey!!
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/APRS Automatic Position Reporting System

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
Old 02-06-2015, 06:02 PM

Default G3X Touch Upgrade

Looks nice!
I'm still planning my panel for my RV-9A and had tentatively chosen a 2 or 3 screen G3X like the ones you removed, plus the Garmin A/P, Audio Panel, GTN650, GNC255 with a remote mount transponder.

I must admit I don't have any experience pushing buttons or poking the screen of either the G3X or the G3X Touch.

Perhaps Mikey would enlighten us about the differences between them and the reasons for upgrading to the G3X Touch?
Thanks.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
Hi Mikey, I see you don't let Paul have full controls. That's OK, Louise has the big screen.

Nice Improvement!
Oh, Louise lets Paul in the left seat some times. In fact, I expect the trip to SnF will be just Paul and me. Oh, and the stick on the right is already back in. ;-)

Last edited by Mikey : 02-06-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrye View Post
Looks nice!
I'm still planning my panel for my RV-9A and had tentatively chosen a 2 or 3 screen G3X like the ones you removed, plus the Garmin A/P, Audio Panel, GTN650, GNC255 with a remote mount transponder.

I must admit I don't have any experience pushing buttons or poking the screen of either the G3X or the G3X Touch.

Perhaps Mikey would enlighten us about the differences between them and the reasons for upgrading to the G3X Touch?
Thanks.
Well, the most obvious difference is the increased capacity and the big screen. It integrates more extensively with the GTN650 and gives wireless capability to the iPad. Plus, Louise has been using "touch" on the GTN650 and Paul on several demo planes and both feel pretty favorable towards it. They look forward to making more extensive use and seeing if it holds up to its promise.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:56 PM

Thumbs up And, sectionals!

Messing around with the new system today on the ground, I also noted that the new Touch system has sectional charts in addition to the stripped down, default maps that Garmin has used for years. Very nice! I always like sectionals for VFR flights as they provide so much more information about things like town, river, and mountain names.
GNC255 Nav/Com, GA240 audio panel)
RV8, N188PD "Valkyrie" (by marriage)
Old 02-07-2015, 09:28 PM

Default 6 hours?

I remember being very impressed by how fast the first edition G3X was installed by you guys. Now the new G3X Touch takes you six hours! I believe if you add the two panels updates together, it would be faster than 99% of any panel upgrade done by Rvers. Stein may offer you a job.
Christen Inverted Oil
First Flight 12 July 2000
VAF Dues current for 2019
Old 02-07-2015, 11:15 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny King View Post
I remember being very impressed by how fast the first edition G3X was installed by you guys. Now the new G3X Touch takes you six hours! I believe if you add the two panels updates together, it would be faster than 99% of any panel upgrade done by Rvers. Stein may offer you a job.
Plug and Play Captain.......

And I already offered STEIN a job!
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 02-08-2015, 06:35 AM

Careful...Tsam may get jealous of Mikey's new panel.

RV7 N612RA, flying since july 2012
E-170/175
RV10 Tail Kit, building