What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airplane camping

Robin8er

Well Known Member
Anyone know of any airplane camping spots in Socal/Arizona? Id just be looking for a quick overnight trip somewhere.

There's the strip at Lake Isabella, Kern Valley. You can walk to a tavern.

If you are more adventurous, there's the "chicken strip" at Saline Valley. That's roughing it. I have not landed there, talk to someone who knows about getting an RV in there. I've seen PA-28's in there.

Payson in AZ

Payson in AZ has a campground on the airport, and a restaurant there too...:)

Bit chilly at the moment... lows in the 40's to 30's

That chicken strip really looks like something. And it's not too far from me. Looks like a no wheel pants kind of landing to me.

Thank for the replies. If anyone else knows of anything please share!

That chicken strip really looks like something. And it's not too far from me. Looks like a no wheel pants kind of landing to me.

Thank for the replies. If anyone else knows of anything please share!

Just make sure to get an up to the minute report on the Chicken Strip - it wrecks a lot of airplanes because it is quite challenging and the conditions can change drastically with a flash flood event. We keep meaning to take the bush plane down there, but weather/conditions/time never coincide.

Paul

Camping Spots

Anyone know of any airplane camping spots in Socal/Arizona? Id just be looking for a quick overnight trip somewhere.

I've been to and enjoyed camping at Columbia.

A couple of spots that I haven't been to but that have on my radar are:

1. Payson Airport, Az (KPAN). Looks like they have a descent on-airport camping area.

2. Agua Caliente Springs (L54). The airport is a short walk to the campground. This looks like a unique place.

Skylor

I've been meaning to try Kern Valley...they advertise a 5-minute walk to the airport cafe and a 5-minute walk to the Kern River.

Or, Oceano, near Pismo Beach. Oceano Dunes are nearby, and you can rent an ATV.

Last edited:
Furnace Creek in Death Valley has a few camp grounds close to the airport. Stovepipe Wells too and close to Mosaic Canyon and the Mesquite dunes.

Grand Canyon Caverns strip is also next to a camp site. No facilities and okayish dirt strip.

And I have to share this image:
ScAuwjviDXcml2TK51HKXV_QT3QyKispauTHMFvB0hNPVYzrSlGzKP7Em9bRs6G3b-TZNDU1fmep5R1g_SFDDmFG52ThrnLfHWb0895Uw1s8q_blFDBloyKKObuGUEwjnsOoDAs-vOY=w1467-h975-no

Furnace Creek in Death Valley has a few camp grounds close to the airport. Stovepipe Wells too and close to Mosaic Canyon and the Mesquite dunes.

Grand Canyon Caverns strip is also next to a camp site. No facilities and okayish dirt strip.

And I have to share this image:
ScAuwjviDXcml2TK51HKXV_QT3QyKispauTHMFvB0hNPVYzrSlGzKP7Em9bRs6G3b-TZNDU1fmep5R1g_SFDDmFG52ThrnLfHWb0895Uw1s8q_blFDBloyKKObuGUEwjnsOoDAs-vOY=w1467-h975-no

Furnace Creek does have a very nice campground.

Thanks for posting the picture at the chicken strip. To be clear for everyone, this is the one in Saline Valley, CA, not the one in TX.

Mark, the airstrip plaque seems to suggest the strip has a hump in the middle and dips at both ends? How long is it? It looks like no need to bring a bear box.

Last edited:
Steve,

That picture was taken 10 years ago. Despite what you see, I wouldn't recommend wheel pants. I had to fix some stone damage afterwards!

I've no idea of the current condition. There may be some updates on the backcountry site. It's uphill take off and downhill landing. This photo was taken on the approach. The hot springs are a short walk to the right of the photo:
GaIt1i_yzN7TLWOuvb6GlzKr3B_lqmedPkujkgXwbz1qOxzXAoo2z3Drf4Tta8WG75yKjzTdYzhQSxKQHomCV4ceg9x1oKBpRqOCjBarMsmZ5Uu4je9ri0G-jnzeHvoE2SpqlKw2uzpxpWjsWP5M_SkDq6XVGR_FOi9NXu1c3DmZ9N7G1m_5x9Wr4pUbJUWMK1pe-vudBnFZAqZv-nOB2U-KrvN1kEnAQw-MA-q20jjznjaz_aripHPpTRWfrp9AuJ1s_TDYgu6HmKWxJOEykKsZy6LBMo5vWkQZ9tvW-7jK6x3wWMOwHwYlxsCAgWBeYRFTT8AWDL-ds_-jbVR4OcC-G12M-eIw4BaV0V9yZCQXpvaERjg5oryqIn7zUQkFDyUs0jNJEARy_uPxcNfoKmauqLOFks7wrluTlM676gJU9OhbxbloIXmLUBWjtxSxoZlPJLbdj0MtLL22OQ60JOHRwDSjkH0hWeaSp_PGafWRqsc7geIOArxoAW6sZlaZNBQ0k2XsK8_byUKbn5FgRPttipV2CDGzDUGHEf1x7cF3bz5i5Ex4FQrRI77MGdVOFTcDFArJ91rvV0bnVpHkWyPEXgdXa6kX90iQs3rbMkPVxIcCgaK6Hpyp5vR4WW-uFnkcQ6aENilRnjdAEd8SClZAa4-xmkYZTbd9zgJqH-I0f3n1p6zUvTU=w1450-h964-no

Back