VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-13-2019, 05:04 PM

Default ADSB antenna under baggage bay

Hi folks getting ready to drill the hole to mount my antenna for the ADSB (UAT Echo).

I recently had the seats and floors out for the CI. Wanted to install at that point but things got busy and ended up getting her all buttoned up to fly before I could install the antenna.

My transponder and VHF antennas are under the pilot seat floor area. Install guide says to keep 1 meter away from those antennas and the ADSB antenna. This leads to an idea to install the ADSB antenna in the wing inspection panel area, the nose area just behind the cowl, or in the aft bag bay floor area.

Are there any particulars that would be advisable to know about, that would have me avoid mounting the ADSB antenna under the bag bay? It would be to the aircraft left side... to the left of the elevator control bell crank structure. Id simplify everything with the GPS antenna aft of the passenger seat and a single wire run from the avionics bay to the bag area.

The wings are slightly more problematic (though doable) since I have to use longer cable runs and find a new way to get cables out there.

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2019, 05:39 PM

I have my ADS-B In antenna there. Works fine.
Hph 304CZ
RV6 built and sold
N199EC RV6A flying
Learn the facts. "Democracy dies in darkness"
Old 11-14-2019, 06:37 AM

I mounted both the ADS-B antenna and receiver aft of the rear baggage compartment. The antenna aft of that bulkhead and the receiver just forward. The receiver is connected to the rest of the SkyView system via a single, four conductor shielded wire. The antenna lead is less than a foot long.

Fourth plane like this - works well.

Carl
Old 11-14-2019, 04:10 PM

Thank you Carl and Dan!