What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fuel vent line bending :(

amaris

Well Known Member
I'm a bit frustrated, actually a lot frustrated, trying to bend the vent lines. It looks like from the plans and other build sites that the spacer washers are used on one each side of the skin. In actuality, it seems like both used on the inboard side of the skin would be better to give the vent line a more straight run to that fitting.(not considering structural support of course) So instead, I'm trying to create a little tiny joggle just past the longeron and after making the s-turn to clear the rudder cable. All without bending the tubing too much. Otherwise once clear of the longeron, the tube would be hitting the fitting at too much of an angle.

Any words of wisdom from the group?

Thanks.

Spring bender

If memory serves...
Start at the side skin fitting because you'll never make the flare after the "S" bend for the rudder cable. Next slide one of those spring bending tools on the tube from the other end and start bending. Bend a little, check, bend, etc. Keep going till you make it to the fitting at the floor. Poke the remaing line out the hole and mark it for cutting. Cut then slide those fittings on so you can't forget them. Finish the flare. Done. Lather, rinse, repeat for the other side. Watch the bend at the longeron. There's a part it has to clear.

I went a little different route as I replaced the Van's supplied tubing with 5052-O.

I made a template in separate sections, where I think the one you mention was the first one. With all the 3 sections done, I used the parts to create one continuous line. Very little scrap as results and perfect fit. I then simply mirrored the shape for the other side.
I wouldn’t be surprised if I would have ended up with more scrap going the multiple trial and errors route.
My log entry: http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=N741BN&project=2288&category=0&log=252899&row=459

Other things to remember:
- Have the subpanel installed when bending to make sure you have clearance
- Don’t use full length screw in the F-684 gusset nutplate, it will hot the skin.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the input. I've got one side done, I just can't seem to repeat the other! Maybe a night of not worrying will help.

Back