VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-25-2019, 05:52 PM

Can you reach the switches on the far left with your right hand when strapped in?
Old 10-25-2019, 08:04 PM

Default Beware!

Note: If you used the Van's .dxf for the panel layout, note that the Van's drawing is the UNBENT panel blank. The bottom of the panel is about 1" shorter due the the L-bend in the final product.

This bit me, and I had to redo my panel with a Van's blank. My layout wouldn't fit on the supplied panel.

Here's the final product, with +1 inch on the bottom:

Looking back, I should have put the engine controls in that bottom 1 inch..
N430WB RV-7 #74152, tip-up. Final assembly.

Log at: http://rv7.wbencze.com
Defeating gravity one rivet at a time
VAF 2019 donation happily made

Last edited by wjb : 10-25-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjb View Post
Note: If you used the Van's .dxf for the panel layout, note that the Van's drawing is the UNBENT panel blank. The bottom of the panel is about 1" shorter due the the L-bend in the final product.

This bit me, and I had to redo my panel with a Van's blank. My layout wouldn't fit on the supplied panel.

Here's the final product, with +1 inch on the bottom:

Looking back, I should have put the engine controls in that bottom 1 inch..
Yes, you are correct. I am getting it cut by Steinair, so I can have any height.
http://www.mykitlog.com/N741BN
Old 10-26-2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsvitil View Post
Can you reach the switches on the far left with your right hand when strapped in?
Yes, even with the almost 14 modification, I can cross-reach to the left. I also get 1/3 of the MFD as well.
The left is mostly start and run up and endurance functions.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:36 PM

You're getting a lot of opinions, so I'll throw in my 2 cents. First, I think you will love the equipment you are installing. A couple of comments regarding the layout:

1. I would suggest moving the G5 higher. If you try to fly that as a primary instrument in real world conditions, I don't think you will want to be looking down at where it is now. Mine is left where you originally had it and I like it there, but center makes sense too, just higher in your field of view.

2. Give some more thought to the switch layout and think about the flow. The biggest thing I see is the placement of the Master switch being under the Touch display. Your hands will bounce around in turbulence and that's one of the last things you want to inadvertently hit in flight. You may be planning a locking switch, but I would still move it over and up along with the rest of that set.

3. I put my warning lights on a dimmer and they are above the PFD. Full bright at night would be a distraction with mine, but I like them where I may see them first and not my passengers.

4. Lastly, the ELT remote is not something pretty to look at, but you might consider placing it more in view. I have mine where yours is located. One time a passengers accidentally touched the test button and fortunately I heard the beeping from behind the panel and figured out what it was before I took off. Being that far over I couldn't see the light blinking that it had been activated. I got it reset, but not before the signal got to Air Force Rescue! Fortunately with a Bluetooth headset I was able to answer the call and explain everything was fine before they called my wife!

These are just my thoughts. Have fun with it! It's great to design it exactly as you want!

Mark
Flying
Old 10-27-2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
You're getting a lot of opinions, so I'll throw in my 2 cents. First, I think you will love the equipment you are installing. A couple of comments regarding the layout:

1. I would suggest moving the G5 higher. If you try to fly that as a primary instrument in real world conditions, I don't think you will want to be looking down at where it is now. Mine is left where you originally had it and I like it there, but center makes sense too, just higher in your field of view.

2. Give some more thought to the switch layout and think about the flow. The biggest thing I see is the placement of the Master switch being under the Touch display. Your hands will bounce around in turbulence and that's one of the last things you want to inadvertently hit in flight. You may be planning a locking switch, but I would still move it over and up along with the rest of that set.

3. I put my warning lights on a dimmer and they are above the PFD. Full bright at night would be a distraction with mine, but I like them where I may see them first and not my passengers.

4. Lastly, the ELT remote is not something pretty to look at, but you might consider placing it more in view. I have mine where yours is located. One time a passengers accidentally touched the test button and fortunately I heard the beeping from behind the panel and figured out what it was before I took off. Being that far over I couldn't see the light blinking that it had been activated. I got it reset, but not before the signal got to Air Force Rescue! Fortunately with a Bluetooth headset I was able to answer the call and explain everything was fine before they called my wife!

These are just my thoughts. Have fun with it! It's great to design it exactly as you want!

Mark
Yes, indeed. A lot of good advice and I changed a few bits as it got me thinking.

1. The G5 is intended as a backup. The suggestion of putting in the center grew on me.

2. I moved the MASTER and the other critical items away from "flapping arms" reach.

3. The warning lights are secondary to the flags on the GDU, but dimming seems like a good idea.

4. The ELT panel was moved earlier to be in easy reach in case of the left seat. So it's now out of reach of passenger.

I also moved the IBBS ON switch close to the VP-X (IBBS is ON during Engine Start).

Latest version:

Last edited by nilberg : 10-27-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:36 AM

Just a thought:

Will you ever fly right seat? (I want to be a fighter pilot mode)
Old 10-27-2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsvitil View Post
Just a thought:

Will you ever fly right seat? (I want to be a fighter pilot mode)
Not as PIC, too many compromises to get to a layout that works from both seats.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:59 AM

I think the OP is set on a symmetrical panel. When we redid the panel on our 6 we started with a symmetrical layout but realized that 95% of our flying would be from the left seat and often solo. We put the big screens side by side on the left and the standby D10a on the right. The D10 was more than adequate for anyone flying from the right seat and they had a great view of the mapping on the right hand screen. The PIC in the left seat had a wonderful display setup with both screens right at hand so to speak. One difference was however that we had 8.4Ē screens but donít think this changes much.
George