VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-24-2019, 03:37 PM

Here's my $3.65 (paper) version of the panel installed.

The rest of the week will be used to run through various procedures and making appropriate airplane noises.
http://www.mykitlog.com/N741BN
Old 10-24-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafa View Post
I recommend group your switches somewhat by the usage and then by function. In your case, Fuel pump, cowl flap and wigwag/landing lights perhaps as one group which is used during each take off/landing.
I must not do enough night flying, because I think the switch layout is grouped by function. Flaps, fuel pump and cowl flaps for take off and landing and enroute going into clouds pitot heat on, strobes off.

How about, from left to right, pitot heat, strobes, nav, landing light, cowl flaps, fuel pump, flaps. Sure would be an odd layout on startup. Bjorn when you are making those airplane sounds, get out the check list and see what switch layout makes the most sense for you.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:37 PM

Slider or tip up ?

With a tip up, you can have the canopy eject (rotated 90 degrees) between the EI commander and the compass.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsvitil View Post
Slider or tip up ?

With a tip up, you can have the canopy eject (rotated 90 degrees) between the EI commander and the compass.
I was thinking that at first, but will either just shorten the release pull-rod to the sub panel or use a push pull cable a re-route it away from the panel.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV10Pilot View Post
I must not do enough night flying, because I think the switch layout is grouped by function. Flaps, fuel pump and cowl flaps for take off and landing and enroute going into clouds pitot heat on, strobes off.

How about, from left to right, pitot heat, strobes, nav, landing light, cowl flaps, fuel pump, flaps. Sure would be an odd layout on startup. Bjorn when you are making those airplane sounds, get out the check list and see what switch layout makes the most sense for you.
My thinking was to map it to how most of the flying is done (VFR). As you see now, I will run through procedures and checklist with the full size mock up.
I was tempted to put the seats in first and have a properly adjusted sitting position/rudder pedals (instead of sitting on pillows):

Old 10-25-2019, 02:47 PM

You will end up adjusting the AP controller more than the G5 so I would swap the two over as it is easier to turn the knobs at the bottom of the panel.

What software did you use to draw the picture?

Pete
Old 10-25-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
You will end up adjusting the AP controller more than the G5 so I would swap the two over as it is easier to turn the knobs at the bottom of the panel.

What software did you use to draw the picture?

Pete
I used LibreCAD an opensource 2D CAD program. Solidworks was way to heavy for my laptop. In addition LibreCAD are available for both MacOS and Windows.
I used the dxf file from Vans as basis and elongated 1/2 inch. GDU cutouts came from Garmin and the rest I just redraw from drawings as a learning experience.
The only thing lacking a little, is a wider range of built in fonts.

Theoretically, I could send it off for CNC cutting, but I consider a draft and will let Steinair make a final version as my plan is for them to do the cutting, paint and labeling.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilberg View Post
My thinking was to map it to how most of the flying is done (VFR). As you see now, I will run through procedures and checklist with the full size mock up.
I was tempted to put the seats in first and have a properly adjusted sitting position/rudder pedals (instead of sitting on pillows):

That is what I did, sit inside and start reaching for switches.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:30 PM

What size are the EFIS panels?
Old 10-25-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsvitil View Post
What size are the EFIS panels?
10"

These are the GDU 460, the drawings in earlier posts includes Garmin’s DXF files which illustrates the cutout and the frame behind the panel. The unit themselves will be attached to that frame through the panel, like this:
(panel is transparent in drawing).

Last edited by nilberg : 10-25-2019 at 05:06 PM.