- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2019, 08:18 PM

Default interesting

It is interesting to see the number of QB complaints there are.

It would also be interesting to hear from those that have been satisfied with them.

A reasonable conclusion may then be reached; without all the data, there is no reasonable conclusion possible...

I hope my QB tanks don't leak when fueled...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
EFII System 32 - Done
297 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful
Wiring...

Dues Paid 2018,...Thanks DR+
Old 10-21-2019, 09:56 PM

Default Mine were OK

I bought the QB tanks for the -10 back in 2007’ish and mine turned out fine while others had issues. Fast fwd I am building a -14 now and built the tanks my self. Now semi retired, I have more time than money so it made more sense. I was more worried in my capabilities at that time. Having built mine this time I am confident that they will not leak (not flying yet...).

I haven’t seen any statistics on good vs bad but suspect that the problems are called out more and the successes are not heard from. Just my thoughts..
Douglas, GA. 2019 Dues paid
Old 10-21-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgill View Post
I haven’t seen any statistics on good vs bad but suspect that the problems are called out more and the successes are not heard from. Just my thoughts..
You know, when a company puts out a product where part of the work is already accomplished, I expect that part to be perfect! There shouldn't be any missed rivets, cases where wrong rivets were used, or other flaws such as leaking tanks.

The QB's are supposed to save work; I feel you shouldn't even have to verify that the tanks don't leak. They shouldn't leak, they are "Pro" built! You aren't paying an amateur to do the work so you have to do it over again. I'm a licensed Plumbing Contractor, and I would never tell a customer to leak check my work. My work can't leak, period.

I didn't build my -10, but a good friend did, and he told me that the QB tanks leaked from the first. Van's said that my current top rivet leaks are caused by walking on the wing walk area, and recommended I mix up some sealant and put it ON TOP of the leaking rivets. Paul at Weep no more said he offered to build the tanks for the QB wings but couldn't work out a deal with Vans.

So yes, you hear about the failures, but there are too many of the same complaints to be acceptable IMHO. You sure wouldn't accept that from other businesses. Stepping down from the soap box now...

-Marc

Last edited by Plummit : 10-22-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:50 AM

Add me to the list of leaks.
QB wings built in 2012. Leak checked okay. 200 hrs on the plane.
I have a very small pinhole leak coming through a rivet on my upper surface of the tank.
I'll build the wings on my next plane. Just like many things throughout the build, it was intimidating, but in hindsight I don't think it would've been bad.

RV-10
-Flying!
Old 10-22-2019, 08:18 AM

I really didn't find the tank build so terrible. If that was the only reason to buy the quick build wings, I would suggest biting the bullet and building them.

Go slow. Have several rolls of paper towels handy, clean the gun and each cleco as you use them. Have a box of disposable gloves handy and change them each time you get messy.

For mixing the Proseal, I use a pad of paper. Mix the Proseal on the top sheet, then toss it or set it aside (to check curing later) and you have a clean sheet to mix your next batch. I have a box of tongue depressors for mixing and spreading sticks.

One other comment, after testing the tanks using the balloon method, I used air and a little (very little) more air to lightly pressurize the tank. (Using the tank pick up and a valve to add air, with the vent sealed and the cap in place, until a slight bulge of the skin appears ) With soap bubbles I found a leak at the corner of the rear bulkhead that did not leak with the balloon test. After fixing that I purchased 2 gallons of AV Gas and put it in each tank sequentially and sloshed around, to ‘test’ and to clean out any debris. I found that sealing the vent and fuel pick up, the tank would develop an internal vapor pressure from the gas (similar to the air test I did) confirming a good seal.

This might give a high level of confidence that the fast build tanks are well sealed.
RV Hotel, come by and visit if you're in town
Dues paid 2019
Old 10-22-2019, 10:26 AM

Everyone is thinking it, but I'll say it.
Maybe Vans should reconsider in house quick building. I know it's cheaper for them to outsource out of the country but obviously quality on the very important tanks is lacking. Building them in house in would at least give them QC on the internal portions of the QB where problems rear their ugly head down the road. Alot of things can get covered up on the quick builds. I had some issues with a couple weeping rivets on a older set of QB wings that I'm dealing with, on painted wings. Not fun at this point as they passed a leak test done by me. Luckily most were under the wing walk so far. Several thousand dollar price points should result in quality work.
Garmin G900X
First Flight 2/14/2019
Old 10-22-2019, 11:38 AM

On inspecting my 2008 QB wings, I found the fuel tanks attached with bolts that had multiple washers under their heads. I pulled one; the bolt was one size longer than called for. Evidently the QB factory had run out of the proper bolts, and this was the solution. I replaced them all with the correct bolts, for a few dollars and a few hours of work. But this was not exactly up to my expectations.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:24 PM

"You know, when a company puts out a product where part of the work is already accomplished, I expect that part to be perfect! There shouldn't be any missed rivets, cases where wrong rivets were used, or other flaws such as leaking tanks."

I'd have to say that I agree with Marc on this one!

I used to be a Quality Engineer in my past life. I don't understand why IF you know there are quality issues in the product you're building and selling, THEN why don't you solve the problems whether it takes some additional engineering or more ProSeal? ELSE don't sell assembled fuel tanks on the Quickbuild wings. Oh yeah, I was a programmer too.

Seems like some of you saved no time on the Quickbuild wings after you had to go drill rivets and fix, test two already built fuel tanks. That sounds worse than just building the tanks.

Disappointed to hear this Vans! Step it up!!

RV-7A Tip Up Airworthy on 12/20/2016
RV-10 Emp in progress!
Old 10-23-2019, 01:01 AM

Default expecting QB wings/ tanks

I also should receive my QB kit soon,
has Van's taken any responsibility on such occurrences? reimbursement? or sending new ones? replacing?

Oren
Old 10-23-2019, 03:32 AM

I'll chime in here as one with QB wings, and no issues (so far - 60 hours/6 months) with the QB fuel tanks. They tested fine and and have had fuel in them for more than 6 months. I've inspected repeatedly and painter has it now - no evidence of leaks.

I'm guessing that this thread is more reflective of those with problems and that the majority of QB tanks are leak-free. I would be interested in hearing what the QB/leak test process from Van's looks like.