- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2019, 01:41 PM

Default And

I just read an article on the cies (?) sensors. Need to research but they look really nice...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
EFII System 32 - Done
297 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful
Wiring...

Dues+ Paid 2019,...Thanks DR+
Old 10-19-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssonixx View Post
I can use some help. Has anyone successfully interfaced the Princeton multi-point fuel senders to talk to teh Garmin G3x system?
I might be able to help as I just finished calibrating the Princeton senders on my RV-7. Mine are two-point but the process is similar. Can you tell me which RV you’re building and which capacitive plates/probes you’re using?

Dave
Putting the "slow" in slow-build since 2004!
Old 10-19-2019, 07:38 AM

I also plan to use the Princeton 2 point converters with Vans capacitive plates.
I was unaware of the power issues when using them with GEA 24, do any other builder experience with this combination would be helpful.
http://www.mykitlog.com/N741BN
Old 10-19-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilberg View Post
I also plan to use the Princeton 2 point converters with Vans capacitive plates.
I was unaware of the power issues when using them with GEA 24, do any other builder experience with this combination would be helpful.
Bjorn,

That’s exactly the configuration that I have and I had no problems powering the converters from the GEA-24.

I’m not sure which Princeton probes/converters Garmin refers to in the G3x install manual as consuming too much power. I measured the current draw of my 2-point converters and they only draw 8 ma, well below the GEA-24’s limit of 50 ma.

Everything worked as advertised when I calibrated the senders and G3x using Princeton’s and Garmin’s instructions.

HTH

Dave
Putting the "slow" in slow-build since 2004!

Last edited by Thermos : 10-19-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:04 PM

Default possible...

I spoke with Todd at princeton some time back about this. I think part of the confusion is that princeton makes capacitance SENSORS and they also make a capacitance CONVERTER/INTERFACE.

After speaking with him, it was apparent that the sensors (the black puck with the tube that goes in the tank) does NOT need a converter; it outputs a variable voltage based on the capacitance sensed. This output works just fine with the GEA24.

The CONVERTER/INTERFACE is to be used when you use a home rolled setup, usually with plates in the tank. This black box converts a variable capacitance to a variable voltage to be used with the GEA24, and may require more power than the GEA24 can reliably provide.

I have corresponded with several people that are using the princeton sensors with the GEA24 without any issues...

Look at the probe sensors and converters here:

https://www.princeton-electronics.com

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
EFII System 32 - Done
297 HP Barrett Hung
Wiring...

Old 10-19-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
The CONVERTER/INTERFACE is to be used when you use a home rolled setup, usually with plates in the tank. This black box converts a variable capacitance to a variable voltage to be used with the GEA24, and may require more power than the GEA24 can reliably provide.
Hello Bob,

While it is true that some of the Princeton converters require more power than is available from the highly regulated +12V transducer power outputs on the GEA 24, we have never heard of this being a problem since these converters all seem to be capable of being powered directly from aircraft power.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:28 PM

Default thanks!

Yes, I guess I wasn't clear.

My point was that the Princeton sensor probes seem to work fine with the G3X system and a converter is not necessary...

Thank you for your input!

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
EFII System 32 - Done
297 HP Barrett Hung
Wiring...