- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N546RV View Post
No, the Skyview system has dedicated serial ports (5 RX and 5 TX) in addition to the much more flexible Skyview network. Generally speaking, other Dynon products will use the SV network, while third-party devices will use serial. Exceptions to this (Dynon devices that use serial instead of SV network) are:
  • GPS receiver(s)
  • SV transponder
  • SV ADS-B receiver

The ARINC-429 box does not use a serial port on the display, it uses SV network, so the original concern that started this line of discussion is actually moot.
Thanks for the clarification Philip.
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 08-09-2019, 12:24 PM

For those who used LPV for your precision approach for your IFR ticket ride, what were your two non-precision approaches to complete the three required?
RV-10 BPE, Dynon, Airflow systems A/C
First flight May 10, 2014
Old 08-09-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
Thanks for the clarification Philip.
No problem. I've been doing a lot of manual reading lately while firming up systems, so a lot of this is still fresh on my mind.
https://www.meetup.com/Houston-Area-RV-Enthusiasts/
Old 08-09-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxofswa View Post
“ILS and LPV approaches are essentially equal”

Out in the real world I would agree, but the question all boils down to the PTS/ACS of the IFR rating. It says precision and by definition, the only current precision approach is ILS based.
From a practical standpoint of equipage, an LPV requires NAV and if you have NAV installed you normally have glideslope as well. Substituting VNAV for G/S is another feather in your quiver if G/S capability is lost either onboard or on ground, or if the particular approach doesn’t offer G/S capability, but I sincerely believe that the vast majority of DE’s are not going to accept an LPV as a fulfillment of the ACS. Again if you have a proper NAV box, you have G/S as well. The FAR’s are a bit vague and outdated concerning equipage, but the ACS is quite specific.
You may be correct that the FAA-speak is a bit garbled. BUT, the forward of the ACS lists acceptable approaches, and, under the precision approach task, lists ‘ILS or LPV, with a DA(H) below 300’ agl’.
I also don’t understand the comment, ‘.....LPV requires NAV...’. These days there are quite a few IFR flights with no NAV on board, and, truth be told, I generally use only gps guidance from start to finish.
I do agree with your question, ‘What two different non-precision approaches do you demonstrate on the check ride if you have no VOR/LOC?’ As I said, some DPE’s are willing to bend the rules.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:17 PM

I have the Advanded Control Module from Dynon/Advanced, is the AIRNC-429 still needed?

N1402 reserved
RV-14a Empennage Done
QB Wing QB Fuse inprogress
Build Log
New Build Log
Old 08-09-2019, 08:39 PM

A lot of people saying an ILS is the only precision approach... This would be incorrect. PARs are precision approaches as well. If you can find a place local to you that will do them.

Gray AAF here in the PNW will allow you to do them.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflyer21 View Post
I have the Advanded Control Module from Dynon/Advanced, is the AIRNC-429 still needed?
The ACM has a built in SV-ARINC module. From page 8 of the ACM Installation manual.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N546RV View Post
The ARINC-429 box does not use a serial port on the display, it uses SV network, so the original concern that started this line of discussion is actually moot.
That is Correct. It went right over my head that he was talking about an ARINC box which uses the DYNON SV network connection not a SkyView serial port.

2019 Dues Paid
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com
Old 08-09-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalinHdz View Post
That is Correct. It went right over my head that he was talking about an ARINC box which uses the DYNON SV network connection not a SkyView serial port.

Truth. Jereme - I mis-spoke when I was talking to you on the phone this afternoon, the Skyview ARINC-429 module does not need a pair of the serial ports to work. It lives on the 9-pin Skyview Network.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
Truth. Jereme - I mis-spoke when I was talking to you on the phone this afternoon, the Skyview ARINC-429 module does not need a pair of the serial ports to work. It lives on the 9-pin Skyview Network.
Roger, understood. Thanks for the clarification. And a big thanks to taking the time on the phone the other day.
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Exempt but gladly paying!