Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2019, 01:23 AM

I'm also interested in this thread. If I recall correctly, the required ARINC-429 box uses up one of the Dynon EFIS serial ports. All 5 ports of mine are taken; GPS, VP-X, ELT, Transponder and ADS-B. So I think in my particular situation, If I wanted to add a backup ADAHRS, EFIS screen, second Attitude Indicator and NAV/COM/ILS I would need to probably ditch the VP-X box and go with fuses/breakers. This would require some additional trim/flap/wig-wag wiring.
Starting to get expensive just to have the IFR capability!
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2019 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor
Old 08-09-2019, 02:10 AM

“ILS and LPV approaches are essentially equal”

Out in the real world I would agree, but the question all boils down to the PTS/ACS of the IFR rating. It says precision and by definition, the only current precision approach is ILS based.
From a practical standpoint of equipage, an LPV requires NAV and if you have NAV installed you normally have glideslope as well. Substituting VNAV for G/S is another feather in your quiver if G/S capability is lost either onboard or on ground, or if the particular approach doesn’t offer G/S capability, but I sincerely believe that the vast majority of DE’s are not going to accept an LPV as a fulfillment of the ACS. Again if you have a proper NAV box, you have G/S as well. The FAR’s are a bit vague and outdated concerning equipage, but the ACS is quite specific.
RV-10 BPE, Dynon, Airflow systems A/C
First flight May 10, 2014
Old 08-09-2019, 04:11 AM

If you get a GNS430 or 650, then you can connect the ELT serial (assuming it's for GPS position) to that and free up one on the Dynon for the ARINC429 module .....

You might want to consider a second ADHARS if for no other reason than it will give you a warning that the 2 disagree and that something has therefore failed. G5 for backup?
Building Bearhawk Bravo - RV-18 not available
2019 Donation Made
Old 08-09-2019, 05:40 AM

Default No Nav

As I have mentioned before on this forum, I trained and took my IFR checkride in my RV. It has only a GTN 625. No Nav. The DPE said that the LPV approach down to to 200ft was good for him.

He was reasonable. Just need to find someone like him.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post
I'm also interested in this thread. If I recall correctly, the required ARINC-429 box uses up one of the Dynon EFIS serial ports. All 5 ports of mine are taken; GPS, VP-X, ELT, Transponder and ADS-B. So I think in my particular situation, If I wanted to add a backup ADAHRS, EFIS screen, second Attitude Indicator and NAV/COM/ILS I would need to probably ditch the VP-X box and go with fuses/breakers. This would require some additional trim/flap/wig-wag wiring.
The ELT is a one way device so you may be able to "piggyback" the ARINC module on that same RS232 line. Contact DYNON support and they can verify based on your particular installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul330 View Post
If you get a GNS430 or 650, then you can connect the ELT serial (assuming it's for GPS position) to that and free up one on the Dynon for the ARINC429 module .....
This is exactly how I have my installation.

2019 Dues Paid
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com

Last edited by GalinHdz : 08-09-2019 at 06:32 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooch View Post
As I have mentioned before on this forum, I trained and took my IFR checkride in my RV. It has only a GTN 625. No Nav. The DPE said that the LPV approach down to to 200ft was good for him.

Same here, my CFII took one look at my panel and said "Oh, this is going to be fun." The DPE I used was interested in my builders log and maintenance records, and took the glass panel in stride, commenting that it was just like the G1000 and shouldn't be a problem.

He did make me fail my left hand primary screen and shoot an ILS with right hand screen - so if you have dual screens you need to expect that. It's a little different trying to fly an approach looking across the cockpit at an angle to your flight path.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Bruce when you say serial port I'm assuming you are talking about the network connections? If so, and I'm not mistaken you can simply add another Dynon hub and that will give you plenty of additional network ports.
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 08-09-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul330 View Post

You might want to consider a second ADHARS if for no other reason than it will give you a warning that the 2 disagree and that something has therefore failed. G5 for backup?
Yes I will put a G5 in place of where my airspeed indicator is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooch View Post

I think at this point I will plan for something that has NAV capabilities, leaning towards a 430 right now but I'm a bit torn on that one as I'm not sure how much longer Garmin will support it? Although that could be a misguided concern.
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 08-09-2019, 10:01 AM

Default Dynon ARINC-429 input/output

Quote:
Bruce,

The Dynon ARINC-429 box is connected to the SkyView serial bus, not any of the the RS-232 ports. Any of the Garmin GPS navigators will connect to the ARINC-429 box directly so it will be pretty easy to add a GPS navigator to your system. The ARINC-429 gets it power from the SkyView serial bus, so you will just need additional power for the GPS navigator. The second ADHARS is also connected to the SkyView Serial bus so no extra power input.

If you have any other questions just email at hr2plt@yahoo.com.

Brian
Old 08-09-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
Bruce when you say serial port I'm assuming you are talking about the network connections? If so, and I'm not mistaken you can simply add another Dynon hub and that will give you plenty of additional network ports.
No, the Skyview system has dedicated serial ports (5 RX and 5 TX) in addition to the much more flexible Skyview network. Generally speaking, other Dynon products will use the SV network, while third-party devices will use serial. Exceptions to this (Dynon devices that use serial instead of SV network) are:
  • GPS receiver(s)
  • SV transponder
  • SV ADS-B receiver

The ARINC-429 box does not use a serial port on the display, it uses SV network, so the original concern that started this line of discussion is actually moot.
https://www.meetup.com/Houston-Area-RV-Enthusiasts/