Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-12-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJohnson View Post
I listened to the EAA webinar and twice Fred Stadler suggested passing slow aircraft on the right if there was room in front. But the Notam says no passing? Did anyone else catch that?
That's veeery interesting. I remember him saying the same thing during the webinar last year. It stuck out like a sore thumb to me since it was in such flagrant conflict with the NOTAM.
https://www.meetup.com/Houston-Area-RV-Enthusiasts/
Old 07-12-2019, 03:06 PM

Default Notam

I think
Be safe
Don’t do anything stupid to put you or others at risk
Watch for others
Be courteous to other pilots
Follow the NOTAM
Don’t fall into getthereitis

About sums it up.
Garmin G900X
First Flight 2/14/2019
Old 07-12-2019, 08:32 PM

Default Agreed

I will bail out and go around rather than pass, but why would he mention passing twice in the webinar. It sends a mixed message.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJohnson View Post
I will bail out and go around rather than pass, but why would he mention passing twice in the webinar. It sends a mixed message.
And gives plausible deniability to anyone busted for busting the NOTAM - not a good thing.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
And gives plausible deniability to anyone busted for busting the NOTAM - not a good thing.
All of this is somewhat subject to judgement. Let's say you come up behind a Cub that's doing 70 miles an hour. There are 2 miles of open space in front of the Cub, and you can hear the thrum of the prop from a Comanche that's right on your tail. Are you gonna help alleviate the situation or are you gonna have the Comanche and a dozen other airplanes jammed into the mile of space immediately behind you?

It is a judgement call, but my opinion is you're better off to pass the Cub.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 07-13-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
All of this is somewhat subject to judgement. Let's say you come up behind a Cub that's doing 70 miles an hour. There are 2 miles of open space in front of the Cub, and you can hear the thrum of the prop from a Comanche that's right on your tail. Are you gonna help alleviate the situation or are you gonna have the Comanche and a dozen other airplanes jammed into the mile of space immediately behind you?

It is a judgement call, but my opinion is you're better off to pass the Cub.
I don't disagree with the safety argument at all, but my issue is more with the direct and stark conflict with the NOTAM here.
https://www.meetup.com/Houston-Area-RV-Enthusiasts/
Old 07-13-2019, 11:40 AM

From my perspective the biggest problem are the aircraft that can not, or worse yet, will not fly up to 90 knots. In my rocket I am fine at 80 knots but 70 knots is just not comfortable. Many many times I have encountered champs, 150s, etc flying at 60 to 70 knots. This just makes the system unsafe for the majority of the aircraft.
A better solution would be for more pilots to fly the higher, faster approach and safely lower down into gaps created by the slow pokes as you get closer to the airport.

I was out practicing at our local airport today, flying the Rocket, with a 172 in the circuit doing 80 knots. This was good practice and I had absolutely no issues but it did take a few circuits to get the kinks worked out. As many have mentioned being prepared for slow flight and landing in different locations on the runway are the key to a safe AirVenture.
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com
Old 07-14-2019, 08:05 AM

Default Practice slow flight at the edge of a stall.

You will be amazed at how controllable these aircraft are when sitting at the edge of a stall. I did this for over an hour a few years back - nose high, one notch of flaps, 60 knots at 5500 feet. I could maintain altitude while the aircraft burbled right on the edge of stall for as long as I wanted. took lots of power, and had to manage minor cooling issues. I could increase back pressure to get a clean stall/break, and it would instantly recover by relieving the pressure.

If you haven't done this, it is an eye opener to what is possible in these aircraft on the slow end. It might not be comfortable, but then again, it might just save your life!

I am not advocating you fly the approach at 60 knots. I am advocating that everyone put every bit of capability into their trick bag that is available. Procedural changes may or may not help me when the fur-ball flies, so my fundamental rule is:

Do no harm. Period.

Don

Don

Last edited by dtw_rv6 : 07-14-2019 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:50 PM

Default Oshkosh

One of my solutions to the OSH arrivals is
Over the railroad tracks at 1800’ and 90 knots
means just that. A half or quarter mile
To the left or right is not over the tracts.
1800’ means 1800, not 1600’ or 2000’.
Most of us have GPS, and mark one eyeballs
So why do I look out and see someone a half
Mile to the left or right and 200’ up or down?
I should be focusing on my twelve O’clock,
But anyway hope to see you guys there.