Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-13-2016, 04:27 PM

Default IFR Training Help

Guys
I have been considering lately to start training for my IFR ticket. However, I am having a difficult time finding anyone willing to train me in my RV7.

Can someone lead me in the right direction on who to talk to about obtaining this rating. I am based at FRH.

I apologize if I have posted this in the wrong forum. If I have can a moderator move it to the correct section.

Thanks
Darren Kerns
RV7 N599DT
812-613-0331
Old 06-13-2016, 04:42 PM

Darren,

I have limited experience IFR in an RV but a fair amount of IFR instruction given to new instrument students. I would recommend pursuing an instrument rating in a platform that's going to be easier to learn in like a Cessna 172 and then transition your new knowledge and skills to the RV. I once gave an instrument rating to a private pilot in his newly acquired Beech Baron and it proved to be a frustrating and challenging set of skills to learn at that level. I'm sure it would also be easier to find a qualified CFII at a local flight school to work with you.
Flying instruments is very rewarding. Good luck in your quest!
http://www.mykitlog.com/MikeMike

2019 Donation gladly paid.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:08 PM

+1 on Mark's comments. Probably not what you want to hear.
1. I hear that there is a nation-wide cfii shortage.
2. Some cfii's will be reluctant to fly in an EAB. All cfii's(IMHO) should be reluctant to fly in an airplane for which they have zero time in type, unless you stick to VFR and you agree to be PIC. But, again IMHO, every ifr student should get some exposure to actual IMC.
3. Some FBOs require their CFI's to sign a non-competition agreement.
4. Do you have a glass panel? For many cfii's they will have to learn with you!
5. The -7 is not a great instrument platform, due to its marginal roll stability. You have to watch it every second. My guess is that you can rent a 172 and instructor at the local FBO, get the rating, then transition yourself (vfr with a safety pilot who knows your equipment) for about the same total cost as doing the rating from the start in your -7.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:16 PM

Guys
Thanks for replies. It is all glass. I have had others tell me the same thing.

Thanks Again
Darren
Old 06-13-2016, 05:54 PM

Where is the learn what you're going to fly crowd?

And excuse me but an RV7 can't be a good IFR plane? Not sure where that's coming from.

So, for the original poster, team up with a CFII that is willing to do a couple hours eyes wide open in your plane and teach him your systems and handling, then move under the hood and work your rating in your bird.

All in you'll save money, you and your CFII will have fun, and you'll learn a lot.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:03 PM

Thanks Rob. I want train in my plane. That is what I will be flying.
My wife is fully supportive & I am going to try find a CFII who will work with me.

Thanks
Darren
Old 06-13-2016, 06:21 PM

And for further reference...

My go-to instructors are from the same school where I got my PPL. They have no issue using my planes for BFR's, IFR training, etc. I'm not buying the CFI outside of the school, nor should anyone.

The owner of the school did give the planes a once over, which he should. Also asked some insurance questions but that's the same if you were learning in your Cirrus. All you need to buy is instructor time and that should be fine with any operation.

Renting trainers probably isn't where they are making money.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:24 PM

Rob,

I respectfully disagree. In the case of my Baron student, the rating took him about three times as long to get than if he would have learned the simple basic attitude instrument scan in an easier platform and then progressed to faster more complex equiptment. I am only offering an alternative means of achieving a goal that will probably cost less in the long run and not be as frustrating an experience. My guess is that after about five hours of basic attitude instrument dual in an RV and you'll be whipped and ready to slow the pace to something like a 172. Can it be done though? Absolutely.
http://www.mykitlog.com/MikeMike

2019 Donation gladly paid.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolivi View Post
Where is the learn what you're going to fly crowd?

And excuse me but an RV7 can't be a good IFR plane? Not sure where that's coming from.

So, for the original poster, team up with a CFII that is willing to do a couple hours eyes wide open in your plane and teach him your systems and handling, then move under the hood and work your rating in your bird.

All in you'll save money, you and your CFII will have fun, and you'll learn a lot.
Exactly correct. I got my IFR ticket in my RV-10 (dual SkyView and GTN-650) and specifically waited until it was ready before working on the IFR ticket. Considering the last time I flew a Cessna 172 I had a hard time getting past why it was such a clunky dog that I knew I did not want that added agreevation for working the IFR ticket.

BTW - I also had my check ride in the RV-10.

Fly your plane and find a CFII that understands the benefits of doing so.

Carl
Old 06-13-2016, 06:47 PM

Mark,

We're talking about people who have purchased or built the planes they intend to fly. Could I knock out a rating faster and cheaper in a 152? Most likely yes. Why would I?

Did the Baron student ever complain about the cost/time to rating? He's probably happy, and most importantly SAFE in his plane.

There's always 'less costly' ways to do things.

Flight training isn't where anywhere should be surfing the bargain basement.

Last edited by rolivi : 06-13-2016 at 06:51 PM.