What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

430W Com Needs Service Message

Darren Kerns

Well Known Member
Guys
I was out flying tonight & my 430W had a message flashing.
When I pushed the Message button it said Com Needs Service.

I read my owners manual it said Transceiver needs service. It said I may still be able to transmit. I was talking to another plane tonight so it is working.
Calling avionics shop tomorrow.

Any thoughts & ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Darren Kerns
RV7 N599DT

If it's out of warranty I'm guessing you'll be looking at Garmin's flat repair rate of $900. :(

Jeff
This is bad news I really did not want to hear this morning!!

I cannot win for losing.

Thanks for giving me a heads-up though.

Darren Kerns
RV7 N599DT

Try this first! I had the same issue and after trying every wiring solution, it was suggested I slide the unit out of the tray and then put it back in. Sounds silly but it worked! Must have been a bad connection.

My 430W was jumping frequencies. The advice I got and took was to remove the top cover, gently brush every surface I could reach, unseat and reseat every connector I could, rebrush and reassemble. I thought I had been careful during the build but I found a small amount of aluminum dust inside. It's worked perfectly for the last 100 hours.

I wouldn't despair until you get the message several times, or it won't go away. I have seen that once or twice in ten years of flying with a couple of 430W's, and never sent anything in for servicing. I'd bet on a momentary low voltage condition - cycle the circuit breaker a couple of times reseat the unit - maybe check for debris as Larry suggests. But if it doesn't come back...I wouldn't send it in.

The advice I got and took was to remove the top cover, gently brush every surface I could reach, unseat and reseat every connector I could, rebrush and reassemble. I thought I had been careful during the build but I found a small amount of aluminum dust inside. It's worked perfectly for the last 100 hours.
Aluminum dust, regular dust, dirt, tarnish, corrosion, oil, all kinds of things can cause intermittent connection issues that are often cured by just a simple re-seat. The contact wiping action takes care of a lot. I spent a couple of decades or more fixing computer equipment; re-seating cards and connectors fixed an amazingly large percentage of problems on everything from PCs to mainframes. The "Pink Pearl" pencil eraser was a valuable part of nearly every electronic technician's tool kit.

Thanks Guys for the advice & suggestions. I called Ron Collins Electronics and they thought the same thing. I need the databases updated as well too so I am going to fly it down there.

They seem to think it is an easy fix. I am not a pro like all of you guys are and I want a professional set of eyes looking at it.

I am just hoping the fog burns off so I can get down there.

Again, thanks guys for helping me. I really appreciate it!!

Sincerely,
Darren Kerns
RV7 N599DT

Update

Had my 430W looked at by John at Ron Collins.
John is a class act. The 430W worked perfectly on way down.
He pulled & tested it. Everything checked out good. He thinks it could have been a seating problem in tray. Updated it & was back in air.

Great service by a great guy.
Thanks
Darren Kerns
RV7 N599DT

Back