What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFS 3400 EGT Erratic

Darren Kerns

Well Known Member
Last night while flying my RV7 home my #3 EGT started acting crazy. It was about 125 degrees cooler than my others. I run right at 1395-1400 on all of them. My CHTs were rock solid.

I am wondering if my probe is about to bite the dust. I have 197 hours on them. Engine was making good power and everything was smooth as glass.

Is there anything else I need to be looking at that I have not thought of????

Thanks,
Darren Kerns
RV7 N599DT

Last night while flying my RV7 home my #3 EGT started acting crazy. It was about 125 degrees cooler than my others. I run right at 1395-1400 on all of them. My CHTs were rock solid.

I am wondering if my probe is about to bite the dust. I have 197 hours on them. Engine was making good power and everything was smooth as glass.

Is there anything else I need to be looking at that I have not thought of????

Thanks,
Darren Kerns
RV7 N599DT

Swapping the sensor with another cylinder will validate it's a sensor issue.

Bob
When coming in to land it dropped 300-400 degrees while others stayed at 1000-1100. I am thinking it has to be probe.

Thank you for the help
Darren

Usually a problem like that is a connection, either a broken wire, a loose connection at the d-sub pin in the back of the screen, a loose crimp on one of the spade connectors or a bad connection between the male and female spades.

If you do a search on the Dynon site you'll find some pointers as to what is going on & why with most Erratic Egt/Cht readings. I've only ever had to replace 1 faulty probe out of hundreds installed :)

Thanks guys for all the advice. I am going to fly in morn.
I may be pulling the cowls tomorrow as well to check wiring & connections.

Thanks again,
Darren Kerns

AFS 3400 EGT Problem Fixed

The wire was barely hanging on in the rear of the probe. When removed out of exhaust stack it severed.

New probe installed. Good as new.

Thanks
Darren Kerns
RV7 N599DT

Back