What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Monitor Options?

pilot28906

Well Known Member
Narrowing down which engine monitor system I need and would like your opinion on if the fuel flow (red cube) is worth the extra $300+? Also, is the current sensor needed? I will need fuel pressure due to being fuel injected.

Also, I have a FP prop so is MAP needed?

Thanks in advance.

On my RV-4, after I added MP, I could see that I could sometimes change MP by a few inches and the RPMs would hardly change at all. Yes, you can fly without MP, but your information won't be nearly as good.

Fuel flow by itself is real handy, but the most utility comes from having the fuel totalizer that the fuel flow makes possible. Once calibrated, the fuel you add should come very close to equaling the fuel it said you burned. After a few fillups you'll come to trust the numbers that it gives you. Gallons remaining and especially time to empty based on your current power setting are very good to know. If your engine instrumentation is through an EFIS you'll also have lots of other good info, such as gallons remaining at a waypoint. Worth $300 - absolutely.

With fuel injection you'll want to calibrate your injector nozzles to enable lean of peak operation. Fuel flow is essential for that.

Ed Holyoke

Back