What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 vs RV-14A on Grass Strip

AlinNS

Well Known Member
I've finally started on the tail of my 14A.

I spent a lot of time debating between a taildragger or trycycle gear. I like them both. At the time of purchase, there was a paved strip close by. As time passes it looks like this wonderful little airfield is about to be closed this Fall:(

The main thing that attracted me to the nose gear option was the flat profile of the main gear vs the round bar of the taildragger. Also, I seem to recall reading that the taildragger prototype will have a 360 hanging on it?

Can any of you folks comment on using a 14 vs a 14A on a grass strip? Looks like the future will most likely involve my own grass strip on my property.

Also, at this stage of the build it looks like very minor differences in the structure, so changing my mind won't be that big of a deal...

Thanks!

Taildragger

I'm building the taildragger with the IO-390. I don't think there was a reason for the IO-360 on the TD, except to give builders an option. I like the looks of the taildragger and will probably keep it at a grass strip. However, I flew the prototype and it sure does sit up nice while taxiing. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Maybe Scott can give us some insight on that.

I have a RV-10 and use grass strips all the time. No big deal when you use the appropriate landing technique. (i.e keep weight off the nose for as long as possible)

Yes, there is less risk with a tail dragger regarding grass, but you also have more risk with a crosswind.

I think it really comes down to a personal preference.

bob

I'm flying my 9A off of a grass strip (my house). Just finished phase one, and so far no issues. Just keep the nose up as long as possible.

-Dan

If my RV-14A that I'm building cannot fly off my grass strip, it will be fore sale before I finish it. Depends what you build for a grass strip. Our RV-10 was happy on the grass til we sold it.
That's unbelievable about Waterville.

The -14A should be the the best nose gear RV model for grass operations due to the gear design and type of construction. The -14A uses a heavy wall chromolly tube nose gear leg that is designed to pivot at the engine mount. This design is almost identical to the -10 design that has done well on the grass and even in off field landings. The main gear on the -14A is a flat spring steel leaf that is very stong and does not have the gear shimmy that is common with the tapered rod type gear. I was very impressed with the ground handling and tracking during takeoff and landing when I flew the -14A at SNF this year.

You simply cannot compare the landing gear, especially the nose gear, of the -14A to any of the other two seat A models.

Thanks for the replies folks. I'm getting my ducks in a row to order the wings and guess I'm just looking to confirm that I'm doing the right thing... I'm going to carry on with the plan.

If my RV-14A that I'm building cannot fly off my grass strip, it will be fore sale before I finish it.

That's unbelievable about Waterville.

Don't get me started on the Waterville thing!

Umm Ron, Buddy, I expect my RV14 to fly off your grass strip too... you just don't know that yet :D:D:D

Last edited:
Umm Ron, Buddy, I expect my RV14 to fly off your grass strip too... you just don't know that yet :D:D:D[/QUOTE]

Hope so.

Back