What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B Nexrad AWOL

Dugaru

Well Known Member
Anyone else have any trouble getting ADS-B Nexrad in the air yesterday (I was in the Mid-Atlantic area)?

My Foreflight/iPad/Scout combo showed a good signal, identified a number of towers, and was able to download textual weather, etc., but no NEXRAD.

I confess I missed my old Garmin 396 and XM Aviator Lite. :)

I had another customer tell me his wasn't working yesterday near South Atlanta as well.

Vic

Yep.
I was on my Monday morning commute. 7AM. KAVL to KBUY. 6 ADSB stations reporting.

The GRT map screen was covered with a grid of "X"s although I could still easily see the rest of the map information. I had never seen that before and as a result sent Mark at GRT a message asking what it was. He educated me that it was no Nexrad. Still had traffic.

Traffic...

I had trouble with traffic not showing up a couple times last week in the Nashville area. Same thing, good signal. At our EAA chapter meeting last week we had an ATC controller speak. I asked him about it and he said they have been having some problems with ADS-B...

Must have been a local area thing, I had a long XC from south to west Texas Monday morning and had great NEXRAD coverage - and a good thing too with two storm lines in the area.

Aircraft owners are weird

So it turns out a multi-zillion-dollar system imposed as an expensive regulatory requirement appears to be urping with respect to the one real benefit it gives GA pilots.....

....but as an aircraft owner I'm actually hugely relieved, because at least my gadgets probably aren't malfunctioning. :)

I had another customer tell me his wasn't working yesterday near South Atlanta as well.

Vic

I had a similar problem last week here in New England. Metars/TAFs and traffic working fine, NEXRAD time stamp also displayed, but no WX display.

Last edited:
Foreflight

I pinged them when I thought it was only my problem. They got back to me and told me they are investigating a "possible tower transmission issue."

Back