What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tyre size on RV 14

Arablenz

Hi All,
I am getting close to ordering the finish kit and mulling over whether I should get a slightly larger tyre size than is in the kit. It seems a few have gone to the 380x150-5.00 tyres to overcome the advantage of a slightly larger tyre but still fit inside the wheel pants.
I frequent a lot of farm airstrips here in n.z so would like a larger tyre but I have questions over what will fit on the current axle set up on the RV14 and work for the wheel pants?
If I can get the slightly larger tyre mentioned above to fit, does the tail wheel need to be slightly larger?
Could someone with a lot more experience in these matters than me, be of assistance?
Thanks

Shipping to NZ

I'm sorry I can't help with your query (although interested in the answer)....

If you have a chance to write it I'd be very interested how you found building a Rv14 in NZ. I'm thinking about building an Rv14 in Wellington and wondering about all the import challenges...

Thanks

Scott,
I have found building a RV 14 , being my first build, a great learning experience, backed up by a good company to deal with if you struggle in some areas of the build. Also the support here on this site has been very valuable as well. Importing the kit is no problem but if you have to replace a part it can be expensive so you need to research your every move to learn from others mistakes. PM me if you would like my phone number I'm happy to talk.
Thanks Glen, I have managed to get in contact with a member on here who has been of great help and has 6x6.00 tyres and a bearhawk 8" tailwheel. I will let him share his information if he so wishes but I think he would probably like to get the plane flying first to make sure his mod has been successful.

Remember when you order your wheels & tyres. That in the standard Vans Kit the front wheel will not rotate through the front forks with the standard aviation valve cap fitted (it hits). There is a previous thread on this and others have found a wheel that will allow the front tyre to rotate. Check the thread for details. Van's fix for this problem is to remove the valve cap - not smart.

Back