What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8 Canopy Skirt Edges

rv8ch

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm working on my canopy skirt, and I have a question for those of you that have experience painting. I'm trying to figure out which way I should bevel the edge of the canopy skirt that goes against the canopy. Here is a picture that hopefully clarifies my question.

CanopySkirtEdges.gif

Which way will make it easier for the painters to do a good job?

Beveled or blocked?

Small gap, or flush with the canopy?

Thanks!

skirts

Mickey,
No answer here, but I do have a question for you. I see you glued the canopy on and of course has to put in spacers for the Sikaflex. How did the skirt (without spacers) match up to canopy, and how did you attach the upper part of the skirt to the canopy?

That square corner looms in my garage....

I tried to email your website, but it didn't like me. Feel free to email me directly.

Hwood

Canopy Skirts

How did the skirt (without spacers) match up to canopy, and how did you attach the upper part of the skirt to the canopy?
The skirts are not attached yet, but I'll be gluing them on with 3m Scotchweld. I think it's DP-125 but I'm not sure. It's strong, flexible, and does not need as much of a gap as the sikaflex. I'll use rivets on the part that's just frame. I'm not going to drill any holes in my canopy!

The skirt fit just like everyone else's skirt - badly. Actually, it's only the last foot or so that is bad. I tried using heat to bend it into shape, but in the end I just cut off the upper part and made some new layups. *Much* faster and easier than trying to get the original flange to bend into shape. Next time I won't waste any time, I'll just cut. I hope to be finished with the skirts this week, and I'll put up some photos on my website.

BTW, anything @ rv8.ch will get to me.

Last edited:
If I understand your question and your pic correctly, I would choose option number 2 (top right). Just before painting I would Pro Seal the edge to give a nice fillet and to seal off any air leaks. Looks nice and neat after painting.

:)

Back