- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2011, 09:10 AM

Default Problem Solved

Hi all,

Thought I would tell you all how this worked out for me. I swapped a couple of PM with Chris Welsh. I ended up getting some CR 3214-4-4 rivets from Chris. With a couple of twists of a deburring tool, they fit flush and pretty. Paul was right, with a little polishing from a stone to smooth off the top, they are pretty hard to tell from the bucked rivets.

ACS does not carry these rivets nor mention their existence. Chris is practically a neighbor (and the producer of a really nice rear throttle control) and was kind enough to supply me with the correct size. Otherwise, I might have ended up trying to use a regular 1/8 Cherry, which would have required some serious reaming. It is good to see regular suppliers appear here to help future builders if/when they encounter the issue.

So, once again, the VAF comes to my rescue.

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV8 Baggage Door
San Ramon, CA
Old 12-28-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capflyer View Post
Sorry this is slightly off topic. I have heard this ocassionally but cannot find it documented where there is a manditory gear bolt torque inspection. Nothing listed on the mother ship site unless I missed it. Can someone please point me in the right direction? I'm trying to decide if the tower mod is something I want to do and now is the time on the current project.
Mike - Build Manual 8-44 - after 10 and 50 hours then anually.

Regards

Bob Ellis
www.rv-8.co.uk
Wiring nearly complete
Old 04-05-2018, 11:22 AM

Default oops

Just to bring this back up on the radar. I started to read this post and jumped on the first thing I read - ordered the "wrong" rivets which was very easy to do since Aircraft Spruce has lots of them in stock and you can buy them in quantities of one. I should have read the majority / multiple folks said get the 3214 rivets and the company "Genuine Aircraft Hardware" even chimed in as a source for the harder to find rivets (at a very fair price)

So, bottom line: go to the above source and order 3214-4-04 Cherrymax rivets and save yourself a lot of trouble and pain trying to get those an rivets set.

Kudos to you folks who can bend that way and set normal rivets!

Now I gotta go try to knock out some 3212s.
GTN 625
GNC 255
GTR 20
GTX 45R
G5 x 2

Facebook "log" https://www.facebook.com/BZsRVproject/

Last edited by rv7boy : 04-05-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:25 PM

Well said.