- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2018, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubedRoot View Post
I'm guessing that no one has been able to source 100 degree, flush head, torx fasteners for structural use, such as the fuel tank and inspection panels yet, have they?

I have browsed the micro fasteners website, but they are stainless screws, which are a bit softer than the AN screws Van's supplies. I am not sure I want my fuel tanks held on with them. McMaster only has 82 degree screws :-(
I did find a place that made them to the same material specs as the blueprint fasteners. However, their pricing for small quantities was absurd. You'd really need a group buy from all the RV builders in a large metro area or something to make it reasonable.

If you are so lucky as to find some NAS5316E08P... screws, then they would really be the ones to use. But I haven't found them anywhere.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:00 PM

Its been my experience that most people tighten screws, especially interior and panel fasteners for some reason, way too tight. Either stripping the head on the way in or on the way back out. (Poor technique in seating the screwdriver to the slots can also be an issue.)
I like to put a little Boelube on the screw threads when installing and it makes them a lot easier to get in and back out. If you don't have Boelube, try a dab of Vaseline.
May not be your issue but something to think about.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf3543 View Post
Its been my experience that most people tighten screws, especially interior and panel fasteners for some reason, way too tight. Either stripping the head on the way in or on the way back out. (Poor technique in seating the screwdriver to the slots can also be an issue.)
I like to put a little Boelube on the screw threads when installing and it makes them a lot easier to get in and back out. If you don't have Boelube, try a dab of Vaseline.
May not be your issue but something to think about.
And, especially with SS cross head screws, if you put the tiniest dab of valve grinding compound on the screwdriver tip, it will not slip in the screw. Someone gave me this tip a decade ago and I still use it. Works great for me, but as always, YMMV....
RV-4 O-360 FP (Sold)
Orlando, FL
Old 04-16-2018, 01:59 PM

Beolube I didn't discover until post Empennege, helps out a ton! Haven't tried grounding compound but I did order a mess of extra hardware and throw out screws at the slightest bit of stripping.

For the panel and some interior pieces I'm using Allen stuff from McMasters.
Donated for 2018
Old 04-16-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartingt View Post
I did find a place that made them to the same material specs as the blueprint fasteners. However, their pricing for small quantities was absurd. You'd really need a group buy from all the RV builders in a large metro area or something to make it reasonable.
Would this be the place? http://www.aaronssixlobescrews.com/. Yep, kinda expensive!
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Sensenich GA Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
www.marksrv8.com