VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-16-2018, 09:28 AM

Default RS232 Feed

I've searched but can't seem to find an answer. I have an RS232 feed coming from my KLX-135A to my Tru Trak ADI. However, I didn't allow for a feed to my Tru Trak Digitrak. Can I simply split the feed from the KLX-135A and use it for the ADI and Digitrak? Simple Solder Sleeve splice would be easy.
Thanks,
Jerry Folkerts
Murphy Super Rebel, building
Vans, next build
Old 04-16-2018, 09:39 AM

I'm far from an electronics expert, so I can't answer to the ins and outs of splitting it.

However, when I first bought the -10 there was an issue with the RS-232 feed to my Digiflight II, and after some research and discussion I split the feed just like you mentioned.

It worked just fine.

That's my "n" of 1, FWIW.
RV-8 wings / fuse in progress ... still
N329TS (had it, lost it, looking for new number)
Old 04-16-2018, 11:09 AM

Yes you can. I feed 3 RS-232 GPS inputs from one GPS using a terminal strip with no problems. At higher baud rates, you need to be careful with noise / interference / shielding / twisting wire, but not with lower baud rates as I understand it.

Noah F, RV-7A

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous menÖ for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible. -T.E. Lawrence
Old 04-16-2018, 11:15 AM

Generally speaking, yes, you can split one out into several inís. Because each input does consume some power, and the out can only supply so much, there is a limit. But most RS232 outs can drive two inputs; some can drive three; etc. Of course all of these inputs will be at the same format and baud rate.