VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

  #1  
Old 04-16-2018, 04:07 AM
Abbygirl1 Abbygirl1 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canton,NC
Posts: 188
Default Foreflight audio

Has anyone added the audio from Foreflight on an Ipad Mini to a Garmin SL 30? Can I just add the audio output from the speaker jack to the headphone input on the SL 30?

Thanks in advance to my esteemed coleages.....
__________________
Dad of an Air Force C-17 flight instructor 2018 dues paid... plus some.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-16-2018, 06:21 AM
turbo's Avatar
turbo turbo is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Stuart, FL /Hartford, CT/Virgin Gorda,BVI
Posts: 2,988
Default

i would give it a try. audio out, audio in. i use the blue tooth function into my headset.
__________________
TURBO YES =VAF= Payed Jan2018
Ed D'Arcy
RV6-A 5,000+ hrs, R-44 1,600 hrs, Helicycle 280 hrs, gyro sold,35,000 miles flown in 2015
Stuart, Fl / S WINDSOR,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
RV HOTEL LOCATION oct thru may.
Pain Free by Pete Egoscue= your answer to all your aches and pains. 'suffering is optional"
addicted pickle ball player
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-16-2018, 08:29 AM
BobTurner BobTurner is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 5,268
Default

I’d put, say, a 220 ohm resistor in series with each output line, before tying them together. To provide some isolation.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-16-2018, 11:34 AM
Abbygirl1 Abbygirl1 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canton,NC
Posts: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
I’d put, say, a 220 ohm resistor in series with each output line, before tying them together. To provide some isolation.

Bob, could you explain in a bit more detail about the use of the resistors?
__________________
Dad of an Air Force C-17 flight instructor 2018 dues paid... plus some.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-16-2018, 11:35 AM
Abbygirl1 Abbygirl1 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canton,NC
Posts: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
i would give it a try. audio out, audio in. i use the blue tooth function into my headset.
That's exactly what the Foreflight guy said. Maybe it's time to upgrade to the Bose 20's.
__________________
Dad of an Air Force C-17 flight instructor 2018 dues paid... plus some.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-16-2018, 11:58 AM
BobTurner BobTurner is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 5,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbygirl1 View Post
Bob, could you explain in a bit more detail about the use of the resistors?
If you just tie together the headphone, SL30 output, and IPad output wires, most of the IPad current will flow into the SL30, not the headphones. And most of the SL30 current will flow into the IPad, not the headphones. Technically, one would say that the SL30 output has a low input impedance. To prevent this, put a resistor (200-500 ohms) in series with each output, before connecting them both to the headset. This will limit the unwanted current flow back into an output. It will also reduce the desired signal levels to the headset, so you’ll have to turn up the volumes (compared to having just one device attached). The proper way to do this is to spend $5 on an op-amp based mixer, which isolates each input. But for just two devices, there’s a good chance the resistor trick will work.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-17-2018, 02:37 AM
Abbygirl1 Abbygirl1 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canton,NC
Posts: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
If you just tie together the headphone, SL30 output, and IPad output wires, most of the IPad current will flow into the SL30, not the headphones. And most of the SL30 current will flow into the IPad, not the headphones. Technically, one would say that the SL30 output has a low input impedance. To prevent this, put a resistor (200-500 ohms) in series with each output, before connecting them both to the headset. This will limit the unwanted current flow back into an output. It will also reduce the desired signal levels to the headset, so you’ll have to turn up the volumes (compared to having just one device attached). The proper way to do this is to spend $5 on an op-amp based mixer, which isolates each input. But for just two devices, there’s a good chance the resistor trick will work.
Thanks Bob, that makes sense.
__________________
Dad of an Air Force C-17 flight instructor 2018 dues paid... plus some.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-17-2018, 07:24 AM
snopercod's Avatar
snopercod snopercod is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 1,313
Default

I tried one of those Bluetooth headset adapters that you put in series with your headset and was very unhappy with it. It loaded down the audio from my radio depending upon whether it was ON or OFF. I tossed it out. The real solution here is a Bluetooth-enabled headset.
__________________
(2018 dues paid)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-18-2018, 03:06 AM
Abbygirl1 Abbygirl1 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canton,NC
Posts: 188
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopercod View Post
I tried one of those Bluetooth headset adapters that you put in series with your headset and was very unhappy with it. It loaded down the audio from my radio depending upon whether it was ON or OFF. I tossed it out. The real solution here is a Bluetooth-enabled headset.
That's the route I want to go. Probable a Bose 20.
__________________
Dad of an Air Force C-17 flight instructor 2018 dues paid... plus some.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-18-2018, 10:11 AM
aerorv6a's Avatar
aerorv6a aerorv6a is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Southeastern PA
Posts: 8
Default Audio Alerts

I am set up to receive audio alerts from my Foreflight iPad through my Bose A20 headset via Bluetooth. However, it does not work all of the time. I did discover a problem, and this could be due to our noisy cockpits. I found that some of the alerts were "clipped". I found if you have to jack up the squelch the alerts are clipped, or you do not hear them at all. Since you prioritize Com over alerts you will not receive alerts. With the Bose A20 you can select "both" mode, which will allow Com and Alerts through. In this mode I don't miss any alerts, but gets distracting when in a area where a lot of communication is going on. Unless someone has some advise, there seems to be some limitations with the Bose.
__________________
Steve Miceli
RV-6A
Mattituck IOF-360 FADEC, Flying
Southeastern, PA
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:14 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.