VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-15-2018, 04:34 PM

Default Borrow your Dynon Skyview ARINC Module?

Howdy folks,

Anyone in the Ft. Worth area that's building or doing a panel upgrade have their Skyview ARINC module on a shelf somewhere that I could borrow very short-term?

Chasing down a problem with my installer (Jesse Saint) on my system and signs are pointing to it being the ARINC module and not wiring.

Easiest way to confirm is to swap mine out with a known good one and see if I start getting data pushed over to my SV from my GTN-625 (unlike now).

PM me if you have one I could use for the test.

And, thanks in advance!

Rob S.
T67-Hicks Airport, Texas
Old 04-16-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie78 View Post
Howdy folks,

Anyone in the Ft. Worth area that's building or doing a panel upgrade have their Skyview ARINC module on a shelf somewhere that I could borrow very short-term?

Chasing down a problem with my installer (Jesse Saint) on my system and signs are pointing to it being the ARINC module and not wiring.

Easiest way to confirm is to swap mine out with a known good one and see if I start getting data pushed over to my SV from my GTN-625 (unlike now).

PM me if you have one I could use for the test.

And, thanks in advance!

Rob S.

Chasing down arinc issues is a pita. I don't know about the 625, but on the 650 in the set up screens, there is an option to display arinc data real time.

I had two vendors both stating that the other had to be at fault. Once I could see the data and prove it was being transmitted, I was able to quickly determine the device that had failed.

Even after I provided the vendor real data, they continued to try and blow smoke in my face. There are typically only a half dozen arinc labels used. One of the labels was for glideslope and another one was for the heading bug. They were both all 0's, so the vendor stated that is why GPSS wasn't working. Fortunately, a tech at the other company helped me translate the labels to each of their functions. While I was on the phone, I put the EFIS in heading mode and instantly got a bunch of 0's and 1's. Naturally, there is no way to get glideslope information sitting my hangar.

The end result was the EFIS was ok, the ARINC adapter was ok, and the ARINC receiver card in the AP head was toast.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:55 AM

Default ARINC Issue

Rob,

I was chasing down a Dynon ARINC issue for about 8 months. I even sent it back to Dynon, their response - "All Good."

It turned out my Xponder antenna was too close, and knocking the ARINC offline.

This is on a Velocity aircraft. I understand the frustration!! Good luck Tim
Old 04-16-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfwalsh01@comcast.net View Post
Rob,

I was chasing down a Dynon ARINC issue for about 8 months. I even sent it back to Dynon, their response - "All Good."

It turned out my Xponder antenna was too close, and knocking the ARINC offline.

This is on a Velocity aircraft. I understand the frustration!! Good luck Tim
Tim,

How close is too close?

My transponder is set up such that it wonít xmit until groundspeed is above a set value (30 KIAS?) whereas the fault Iím getting is when I power-up going O KIAS in the chocks. Wouldnít think itíd be a potential problem Iíd see if the transponder isnít transmitting, correct? Or is this flawed thinking?

My ARINC unit is on a sub-panel behind the primary PFD. Transponder antenna is a few feet below that right between the exhaust pipes on the bottom fuse. Too close?

More info on your situation would be appreciated...

Rob
T67-Hicks Airport, Texas
Old 04-16-2018, 10:41 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Rob, his plane is fiberglass.

With an RV's aluminum skin, his distance figures are probably useless to you.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 04-16-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie78 View Post
Tim,

How close is too close?

My transponder is set up such that it wonít xmit until groundspeed is above a set value (30 KIAS?)

Rob
Off topic.
Some time ago the FAA requested pilots to have their transponders on Ďaltitudeí, not standby or off, anytime the plane was in motion, including on the ground. I think the request may change to law in 2020 (ADSB related).