Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2018, 09:46 AM

Default What are the odds that Vans Updates the RV-10 in the near future?

Hey - I am pretty seriously kicking around the idea of starting an RV-10 in the next 3-6 months. However, looking at VAN's recent new product announcements, it appears that their engineering focus for the past 5 years or so has been on bring out planes that are largely improvements on their earlier designs (RV-14 and RV-12is).

What do you think the odds are that Van's will update/improve, etc the RV-10 anytime in the near future? I wonder if the demand for a 4 place plane is enough for them to justify the engineering expense for an update?

I know no one is likely to have a definitive answer, but curious to get your thoughts before I head down this rabbit hole.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:52 AM

Default Pretty slim

Without any factory knowledge about future products, I think the chance of a significant RV 10 update is slim to none. The RV10 is that good. Besides, even when their next new product comes out, the RV10 should be fully supported. I think Vans has the best track record for support of older models, and their corporate structure is setup for the long haul. JMHO

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Extra dues paid 2018, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings done less tips and avionics
Fuselage 30%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 04-14-2018, 09:55 AM

Extremely unlikely. The closest competition to the RV-10 is the $390,000 USD SR-20 and the $540,000 USD SR-22.

IF you look at what customers that have built RV-10s have done to customize their aircraft, you will not find any major changes to the basic design.

The Basic design of the RV-10 is excellent and extremely unlikely that it can be improved.

If you see any major flaws in the RV-10 design, it is most likely that an RV-10 is not the aircraft for you.
3,300+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:12 AM

The RV-10 is, in my opinion, the best kit Van’s has to offer. For odds on updates I’d guess any would be at the margins. The only big change might be a more streamlined main gear wheel pant that solves “the big axle sticking out” issue. Here however there are other wheel pant venders to choose from.

What would be nice:
- A better cowl design that incorporates a 14” spinner. The standard 13” spinner just looks wrong on this plane.
- A door redesign that opens more forward instead of just up. This one item would keep the sharp pencil guys at Van’s busy for a good while.
- An update to the glass install instructions. Here Van’s could provide ideas from RV-10 builders on options to finish.

Carl
Old 04-14-2018, 10:30 AM

I think the RV10 is very important for Vans and therefore I think it is a prime candidate for some sort of refinement/improvement.

Probably nothing that will have a significant impact on the finished product, more improvements that will make it easier to build.
RV-14 kit #140138
I have entered the 90% done, 90% left to do zone
Http://magnusrv.blogspot.se
Old 04-14-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by control View Post
I think the RV10 is very important for Vans and therefore I think it is a prime candidate for some sort of refinement/improvement.

Probably nothing that will have a significant impact on the finished product, more improvements that will make it easier to build.
A standard drop in panel like on the RV-12 would be profitable for Vans and convenient for builders.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 04-14-2018, 11:27 AM

Default Garmin Products

If you have or are planning on using Garmin GTN /G3X units in your aircraft. I would suggest you use Garmin Pilot as the ipad ap.

I used Foreflight for years (with no issuers) and switched to Garmin Pilot when I installed the GTN 600 and G3X. Their menus are matched to Garmin Pilot so learning to use the aps is easier because the icons and buttonology is matched.

Foreflight and Garmin Pilot are basically the same, yes sure, there a some differences but that discussion is like the primer wars.

Switching between two different interfaces is more work than necessary with little reward.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
A standard drop in panel like on the RV-12 would be profitable for Vans and convenient for builders.
I definitely second this, I wish there were some drop in options on more than just the -12.
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 04-14-2018, 04:12 PM

Default Ya we can do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
I definitely second this, I wish there were some drop in options on more than just the -12.
I think Steinair or one of the other VAF advertisers can build you a “drop in” panel if you like. There are many panels these guys have done that are on their websites. My plan is to buy a copy of one they have aleady done.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Extra dues paid 2018, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings done less tips and avionics
Fuselage 30%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 04-14-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotjohnS View Post
I think Steinair or one of the other VAF advertisers can build you a “drop in” panel if you like. There are many panels these guys have done that are on their websites. My plan is to buy a copy of one they have aleady done.
They can and do. But it helps if a couple dozen people head down the exact same path and work out the bugs, document the process, etc. That's where a stock, factory supported panel gains traction.
2019(?) RV-10

Last edited by Kyle Boatright : 04-14-2018 at 04:53 PM.