- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2018, 12:23 PM

Default Airflow Performance FM-150

Has anyone mounted an FM-150 on a Lycoming IO-390? That is what was recommended by Lycoming when I ordered my Thunderbolt engine, and now I am having some mounting “issues.”
Old 04-13-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MED View Post
Has anyone mounted an FM-150 on a Lycoming IO-390? That is what was recommended by Lycoming when I ordered my Thunderbolt engine, and now I am having some mounting “issues.”
Send me an email at aircraftspecialty@gmail.com if you need any additional information.

There is a new bracket that is required. In addition, the standard FWF hose will not fit the transducer to fuel servo. Also, the spider hose that it seems they are shipping out with that combination is not the correct length.

We have all the dimensions for the hoses that you will need. If you are doing single or dual PMAGS, we have an optional hose installation package for that also if you decide to forgo building the new manifold pressure lines on your own.

As far as the bracket goes, here is the link to what appears to be needed.

http://airflowperformance.com/index....e-bracket-kit/

Have a great weekend
Steve

aircraftspecialty@gmail.com

www.aircraftspecialty.com
Old 04-27-2018, 03:57 PM

Airflow Performance has these bracket kits available now, mine is on the way These will make the installation much simpler than doing the engineering yourself. And as Steve at Aircraft Specialty mentioned, several of the kit hoses are not the best fit to the FM-150. I have all of the hoses from Steve and they are exact fit.

Leesburg, VA
RV-14A kit # 140243
VAF 2017 and 2018 paid
www.mykitlog.com/chrismoon/
Old 04-27-2018, 08:43 PM

Thanks for the reply. I also have the installation kit on order ($220) and have already bought the replacement hose for the Van’s supplied fuel hose ($125). Have not determined what will be required for the Lycoming-supplied hose from the spider (?$). I am just surprised that I am having to make these mods when I am using the recommended throttle body. I feel like I am plowing new ground. I didn’t want to be a beta tester . . .

Last edited by MED : 04-27-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:22 AM

The hose from the FM-150 to the spider is too long (mine was) and I had Steve make me a new shorter one. He either has these available or has the dimensions to make you one. I agree the change from the Silverhawk to the ASFP was not seamless by a long shot but I think the kinks are worked out and all of the necessary parts for the change are available.

Leesburg, VA
RV-14A kit # 140243
VAF 2017 and 2018 paid
Old 04-28-2018, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MED View Post
I am just surprised that I am having to make these mods when I am using the recommended throttle body. I feel like I am plowing new ground. I didn’t want to be a beta tester . . .
Mods? New ground? Beta tester? For a cable bracket and some hoses?
Old 04-28-2018, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Mods? New ground? Beta tester? For a cable bracket and some hoses?
Well, I am confident with the help of Airflow Performance and Aircraft Specialty the issues will eventually be worked through. Nevertheless, with over 50 RV-14s flying, using the throttle body recommended by Lycoming and Van's, plus spending North of $38K for the engine throttle body combination, I am surprised everything is not already sorted. Oh, and it is costing me >$500 extra and a few weeks delay.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:48 AM

I think the confusion is from Lycoming not being completely familiar with the RV-14 kit and throttle/mixture cable lengths and routing per the plans. Since the FM-150 fits and is appropriate for the engine, they say it's a drop in change without knowing the kit throttle cable might be a little short and the mixture cable needs to be completely rerouted and extended to reach the mixture arm on the FM-150 which is in a completely different location from the Silverhawk. Neither of these are huge issues, just not what people are expecting when told it's a drop in alternative. But yes there is more $$ involved now for hoses and bracketing and hardware but it's all bolt in and no re-engineering required.

Leesburg, VA
RV-14A kit # 140243
VAF 2017 and 2018 paid
Old 04-28-2018, 07:01 AM

Thanks again, Chris. I think you have summed things up well. I guess this brings me back to my original question, though. Has anyone actually flown an RV-14 with an IO-390 using an Airflow Performance FM-150? Anyone?
Old 04-28-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova RV View Post
I think the confusion is from Lycoming not being completely familiar with the RV-14 kit and throttle/mixture cable lengths and routing per the plans. Since the FM-150 fits and is appropriate for the engine, they say it's a drop in change without knowing the kit throttle cable might be a little short and the mixture cable needs to be completely rerouted and extended to reach the mixture arm on the FM-150 which is in a completely different location from the Silverhawk. Neither of these are huge issues, just not what people are expecting when told it's a drop in alternative. But yes there is more $$ involved now for hoses and bracketing and hardware but it's all bolt in and no re-engineering required.
Chris, are the throttle and mixture cables supplied in Vans FWF kit workable or are new ones in order?
RV14A #140083
Wings, empennage, fuselage and finish slow builds completed. Avionics and engine installed.
Down to last 90%.
2017 Donation