VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-13-2018, 04:49 AM

Default NC taxes..

While I haven't "studied" neighboring states lately, I believe we are slightly higher than SC and Ga, but not by much. I have lived here 36 years, and not even considered a move anywhere else. There is quite a bit of land in the region suitable for airstrip development, and a few airparks with lots available.In recent years at least 3 airstrips near me have been available/sold to new owners. A few Airparks worth looking near me are: Gold Hill, Marchmont Plantation, Hawks Landing, Long Island , and Miller Airpark. We live on Twin lakes airport, but its not an airpark. There is a VAF member on the forums here that re-located from Texas a couple years back that may advise on the pros/cons..look up Robert Anglin (RV8). If you decide to visit the area, I can accomodate you and have hangar space for an additional RV.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:02 AM

Default NC25

Check out Gold Hill Airpark, NC. We are less than an hour's drive to Charlotte or Greensboro. Taxes are not onerous and the weather allows flying all year long. 3000 feet of paved and lighted runway.
Track Me *** Gold Hill Airpark (NC25)
VAF 2018 Donor
"He who demands everything that his aircraft can give him is a pilot; he that demands one iota more is a fool."
Old 04-13-2018, 08:22 AM

This is an interactive tool from Kiplinger Magazine to compare States and how tax friendly they are from a retiree's standpoint.

https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/retir...rees/index.php

Looks like the 5 most tax-friendly Southern (assume you prefer a warmer climate) States, in no particular order are Nevada, Georgia, Mississippi, Florida and Kentucky (although that seems a little too far North to be considered a warmer climate).
Old 04-13-2018, 08:39 AM

Don’t forget tax base for most of us include “income taxes, sales taxes, capital gains taxes, personal and real property taxes.” Also check to see “what types of income” are tax exempt or taxed at a reduced rate. In Oklahoma we talk about Texas being a “low tax” state and with an envious eye to our south.

However in Oklahoma our property taxes are reasonable (for the most part), personal property taxes are effectively non-existent, and military, federal, teacher and state employee retirement incomes enjoys significant tax breaks. If you have a 50% military disability or have a significant non-military disability, have a certain percentage of Indian blood, and a few other criteria; then you can get a sales tax exemption card.

Nobody said taxes are ever fair or reasonable - just written to take someone else’s income to give it to another person’s benefit. By the way, don’t be a smoker in Oklahoma. Taxes on this sin product are horrendous. We also just increased our oil “gross production tax” and our gasoline and diesel fuel tax (no increases on aviation fuel) to fund teacher pay raises.

I say all this basically to raise the point that government services cost money. The better the services the higher the cost. No location is perfect. I recommend your retirement location be based on family location, what you and your significant other consider important as to amenities and weather, and then figure how to get there. Taxes will always be extracted by government - it’s just how and when their collected that differs.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:06 AM

I thought this was interesting for the State of Texas. Not saying this is the best route but did not know this deferral was available. For retirees who own their houses outright and are on a modest fixed income, this might be a way to stretch the budget.

A homeowner who is 65 or older or disabled may qualify to defer their property taxes until he or she no longer owns or occupies the home as a residence. Property taxes continue to accrue during the deferral period and are assessed interest at the rate of 8% a year. Once the deferral ends, the taxes and accrued interest must be paid.

https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/retir...44&state=Texas

Last edited by charger81 : 04-13-2018 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Added link to article
Old 04-13-2018, 11:13 AM

Thinking about buying a lot out at Piney Creek Airpark in Tennessee for my future retirement plans...
Old 04-13-2018, 11:54 AM

Definitely check out GE99 Heavens Landing in Rabun County GA! Nicest airpark in nicest area of the country!
Old 04-13-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc8 View Post
Definitely check out GE99 Heavens Landing in Rabun County GA! Nicest airpark in nicest area of the country!
Nice airpark but the building costs are unreal!
Track Me *** Gold Hill Airpark (NC25)
VAF 2018 Donor
"He who demands everything that his aircraft can give him is a pilot; he that demands one iota more is a fool."
Old 04-13-2018, 03:35 PM

Default NE Tennessee

Check out https://www.hensleyairpark.com/.
Quiet, friendly and affordable.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:53 PM

Default NW Florida Sandy Creek

I recently bought a lot at Sandy Creek. Very affordable not very developed yet. Paved. http://sandycreekairpark.com/. EAA chapter 202 has a hanger and meets there.

Paul