VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-11-2018, 08:45 PM

Default Speed Mods?

There seems to be a paucity of aftermarket products to make an RV-10 go faster. Is it because it is already so perfectly designed?
Does anybody know of any mods worth looking at?
Old 04-11-2018, 09:01 PM

The Showplanes cowl should be something of an improvement.. Also, Jesse Saint sells a set of wing/fuse intersection fairings for which he claims a speed improvement. I think Sam James sells a narrower set of wheel fairings which should help.

After that, you're down to rigging and HP as fas as I know.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 04-11-2018, 09:39 PM

Totally OT, but paucity, had to look that up, good job.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:46 AM

I built using the James Cowl, Plenum and Wheel Pants. This added time to the build but I'm happy with the performance (a couple of screen shots attached). The plane has a stock engine and prop from Van's.

James Cowl no longer offers the cowl for the RV-10, but you can still get the wheel pants. They have a smaller frontal area than the stock Van's pants but again add a little time to the build.

Don't underestimate the value of rigging. Rigging is more than just wings level and the ball in the middle.

Carl

Old 04-12-2018, 09:33 AM

I have this thread bookmarked in my RV-10 folder:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=95952
RV-8 wings / fuse in progress ... still
N329TS (had it, lost it, looking for new number)
Old 04-12-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
Rigging is more than just wings level and the ball in the middle.
Tell us a little more about the procedure to ensure this please. My 7 has stock M1B, Hartzell composite prop, SJ cowl, my plenum, SJ pants and is only a few mph better than the vans stock reported speed at ROP cruise. I have some tweaking to do, but a little more about exactly what you are talking about would be appreciated. I am feeling like something is not right, but don't know exactly what. I was expecting my 180 hp engine to be equal to or best the 200hp published numbers, but it falls a little short. Only 12 hrs into PH I.

I don't think it is just my little transponder post, but I am considering installing the Vans PR wheel pants.

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Repairman 11-15-18

Last edited by BillL : 04-12-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
Tell us a little more about the procedure to ensure this please. My 7 has stock M1B, SJ cowl, my plenum, SJ pants and is only a few mph better than the vans stock reported speed at ROP cruise. I have some tweaking to do, but a little more about exactly what you are talking about would be appreciated. I am feeling like something is not right, but don't know exactly what. I was expecting my 180 hp engine to be equal to or best the 200hp published numbers, but it falls a little short. Only 12 hrs into PH I.

I don't think it is just my little transponder post, but I am considering installing the Vans PR wheel pants.
Bill,
No expert here, but....
I have seen/worked on two -6's that did not have the wings straight/perpendicular to the fuselage. When they are not the same, one needs more rudder trim and that is drag.
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB
Old 04-12-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
Tell us a little more about the procedure to ensure this please. My 7 has stock M1B, SJ cowl, my plenum, SJ pants and is only a few mph better than the vans stock reported speed at ROP cruise. I have some tweaking to do, but a little more about exactly what you are talking about would be appreciated. I am feeling like something is not right, but don't know exactly what. I was expecting my 180 hp engine to be equal to or best the 200hp published numbers, but it falls a little short. Only 12 hrs into PH I.

You don’t mention the prop you are using. This makes a big impact.

The rigging topic itself is way too wide a subject to adequately respond. The first thing I recommend you do is get other experienced builder eyes on your plane and start looking for the obvious, then get the straight edges out and measure everything. As example, I was with a buddy visiting open hangar doors. An RV-4 owner mentioned that he was not sure his plane (flying for 15 years) was ever rigged right. The right flap hanging down a half inch from up jumped out at me, and from there all the other classic ailerons high/low mount problems. He gained 5 knots after a few simple corrections.

Wheel pant rigging is another “hard to get just right” issue.

One item that is less obvious is the HS angle of attack. In normal cruise, is the elevator trailing edge hanging down? If so, this tells you the HS is providing too much downward force. In the 8A a 0.040” shim under the HS forward spar made a hugh difference - so be careful. In the RV-10 I needed to add a 0.063” shim to get the elevators in perfect trail for normal loads. If you are thinking of adding a shim bigger than that, time to stop and look at what else is going on.

So - call your buddies to come on by. After you fix stuff your wingtip trailing edge may by out of wack. Don’t be afraid to glass over the wingtip holes and re-drill it.

One other point. This is not a “one and done” deal. It is an iterative process. Make it part of your 40 hour test program.

Carl
Old 04-12-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
This added time to the build but I'm happy with the performance (a couple of screen shots attached). The plane has a stock engine and prop from Van's.
Carl
Carl,

Pretty good performance!

You are probably aware of this, but I'll mention it for others. The Dynon SkyView (as does other EFIS mfg's) allows the Vne (Redline) to be input as a TAS value (i.e., Vne = 200 KTS TAS for the RV-10).

At the flight conditions in your screen capture, Vne would be approximately 182 KTS IAS. The SkyView would show that Redline on the Airspeed Tape.

Below is a SkyView Touch screen capture from my RV-8 illustrating the effect. The RV-8 has the same Vne as the RV-10, but shown in MPH (230 MPH TAS). At the flight conditions in the screenshot, Vne = 197 MPH IAS.

(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 04-12-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:26 PM

Carl, that is way faster than Vans numbers, have you checked your TAS vs flying a GPS box to verify static error?

If the static is pretty close you have one slick machine!

David Brown

The two best investments you can make, by any financial test, an EMS and APS!