VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-10-2018, 09:47 PM

Default WTB plane power alternator

Looking for a back up alternator plane power fly safe alternator FS1-14 or fs1-14b that I am going to mount where I removed my vaccum pump
Old 04-11-2018, 06:47 AM

You may want to look at the B&C units as well:
https://www.bandc.aero/lycoming-gear...ternators.aspx

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 04-11-2018, 09:52 AM

Default B&C option

Walt is right. I had one of the early PP vac pad prototypes - it went 250hrs then crapped out. The aft bearing was not seated, or the case was not just right...dunno. I changed to the B&C unit instead of getting another PP unit.

Be sure to put a shear coupling from B&C in your fly-away kit. DO NOT use any other brand coupling. Know how to change this part on the ramp too, and have the tools on hand. You might need a vac pump tool in some cases, tho it looks like there is more than enough clearance on both brands of alternators.

Both appeared to work about the same in terms of RPM/Voltage/Amps, tho the B&C might have a few more amps at near idle speeds and cruise.

Both behave like a generator on a radial in that no usable amps are produced until about 1000RPM or so. I do not view this as a disqualifying feature in my ship, but it might be a factor on a full electronic setup (panel, fuel, ignition, etc) with a single battery.

My engine is a TCM 550 which has a 1.5 vac pad drive ratio - I seem to recall the Lycs have a 1.3 drive ratio - that will change the RPM (maybe 1200 vs 1000 for me?) at which the alt kicks in.

Night OPS with long taxis might be something you look at when you pick a battery for this system. LED lighting will help.

I like the different controller on the B&C - more features that we generally want on our planes anyway.

If this B&C goes 500hrs, Iíll be very happy. B&C tells me they generally last 2X that, and more. Having a vac drive alt give out in the middle of nowhere leaves you with no options unless you have mags and a legacy fuel system, and a portable GPS in the panel - which is what happened to me. The next build has all the new electronic stuff in it, so I have to be more careful about system architecture than before.

"Not everyone needs a Rocket. Some folks, however, shouldn't live life without one.
You know who you are."
Budd Davisson, 1997
Old 04-12-2018, 09:34 AM

Default Back up alt

I have the vpx sport,two batteries and was wanting the second alternator for security. I know itís a overkill for my type of flying, but the next guy might like it. Thanks for all the info, I will check the other brands, if someone has a different unit for sale, let me know , I might change my minds after reading this post
Old 04-12-2018, 10:17 AM

I wouldn't stick another one in my airplane. Mine fell apart in flight at <100 hours due to the terrible design (short threads into an aluminum casting). It was literally dangling from the cable.

B&C uses a one piece casting for the entire front end. I didn't want the hassle of an external regulator either, but in this case it's worth the effort, since this alternator failure mode can cause other serious problems.

Here's some photos:

Two Kids: Built, Enjoying
RV-10, Bought, Rebuilt, Enjoying
Build / First Flight Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f9HXzZT1dE
Build Log: http://websites.expercraft.com/geprevo/

Arguing on the internet is like having a competition to see who can hit a brick wall the hardest. You may win, but you're still an idiot.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:47 AM

Default B&c with vpx sport

Has anyone installed B&C alt with vpx sport ? I have installed a switch to select which alternator I want to use, will the external regulator allow me to do this with my setup.