Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2018, 02:24 PM

Default New guy just getting started.....

Hello all, new member here. Been doing a lot of reading, dreaming and perusing my preview plans set and have decided its time to pull the trigger in search of the RV Grin with an RV-8. Getting my shop set up, working on tooling up and work bench(s). Ready to order my empennage kit. As a new builder any recommendations on getting going with my empennage order? Looks like there are few options for the empennage with the exception of electric elevator trim which I will opt for. Would appreciate any advice, recommendations to get things started off on the right track.

Don Johnson
Fort Collins, CO
Old 04-10-2018, 02:44 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj232 View Post
Hello all, new member here.

Don Johnson
Fort Collins, CO
Don, welcome aboard the good ship VAF

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 04-10-2018, 03:40 PM

Default Google Group

Quote:
Hello all, new member here. Been doing a lot of reading, dreaming and perusing my preview plans set and have decided its time to pull the trigger in search of the RV Grin with an RV-8. Getting my shop set up, working on tooling up and work bench(s). Ready to order my empennage kit. As a new builder any recommendations on getting going with my empennage order? Looks like there are few options for the empennage with the exception of electric elevator trim which I will opt for. Would appreciate any advice, recommendations to get things started off on the right track.

Don Johnson
Fort Collins, CO
Don. Welcome. I manage a Google Group of Colorado (plus a few outside) RV builders/owners. If you would like to join, shoot me an e-mail from a Google account. My address is in my signature below.
There's a few RV8 builders in the group.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2017. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:06 PM

Default Just one.

The electric trim is just find. Write the check and get in gear. The rest will come to you as you go. You'll have plenty of friends here to help distract you.
Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888
Old 04-11-2018, 11:16 AM

As a fellow -8 builder, I'd recommend some of my favorite builders logs (besides my own; see links in my signature area). Matt Dralle's build log and YouTube videos were very inspirational; Scott Thompson's build log was helpful too (plus he's a warbird guy; see Aero Vintage Books); Bryan Raley is another, and there are many more. Check out the links section here. Lots of good RV-8 videos on YouTube now that have helped my motivation; also can't forget the From The Ground Up series produced by EAA for the now-defunct Wings channel. That series is available on DVD, and although dated now, it kept my dreams alive for over a decade before I could start building.
VAF is probably the best source for tribal knowledge; mostly good; some might be questionable... but Doug runs a tight ship here and that keeps the bad advice at bay. You are in the right place for networking and builder resources.
RV-8 #83507 - empennage complete (except fiberglass)
QB wings & fuselage work continues
N657AR reserved
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/goatflieg
Dues paid for 2018... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?
Old 04-15-2018, 12:01 AM

Default Tool question

Thanks all for the nice welcome. Looking forward to getting started on my RV-8, in fact, after joining the forum last week I have ordered my tail kit and it will be delivered this coming week. Oh boy, the fun is about to begin..... got to tool up now. Looking at possibly Cleveland or Isham RV tool kits. Any recommendations on a direction to go here. DRDT dimpler and/or phenumatic squeezer a good choice or save the money and spend elsewhere?
Old 04-15-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Thanks all for the nice welcome. Looking forward to getting started on my RV-8, in fact, after joining the forum last week I have ordered my tail kit and it will be delivered this coming week. Oh boy, the fun is about to begin..... got to tool up now. Looking at possibly Cleveland or Isham RV tool kits. Any recommendations on a direction to go here. DRDT dimpler and/or phenumatic squeezer a good choice or save the money and spend elsewhere?
If you are doing a slow build, get the phenumatic squeezer. You will soon find it indispensable.

Carl
Old 04-21-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
If you are doing a slow build, get the phenumatic squeezer. You will soon find it indispensable.

Carl
Thanks Carl, I think the pneumatic squeezer will be added to the list.
Appreciate the feedback.

Don
Old 04-29-2018, 05:02 PM

Hi Don - I'm at the same point as you! I just sold my Cherokee, and likely going to order my kit tomorrow. The plan is to build the empanage first to see if I really like pounding rivets, then decide if I want quick build wings and fuselage or not.

Jason
Old 04-29-2018, 05:28 PM

Howdy neighbor. Iím the guy with the Midget Mustang one row of hangars east and slightly north of your hangar. Weíve talked briefly in the past. Happy to hear that youíre taking the plunge.

Iíve built 4 different RV empennage kits including 2 RV8 kits. Iíd be happy to help in any way. Iíve also got at least one of most every tool known to man. Youíre welcome to ďtry it before you buy itĒ with pretty much any tool I own.

Iíll send my contact info via a PM.

Rod
Longtime RV enthusiast