Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-10-2018, 10:42 AM

Default CFI checkout needed

Birmingham AL
I just purchased an RV-6. I'm a high time, recently retired military pilot, CFI. 200 hrs tail wheel. Insurance requires a signoff by a CFI, and any RV counts. My airplane is out of state, so we need an airplane as well. Can travel to you, prefer within 300 mi. Please PM if you can help. Or better yet call cell Two oh 5 5 8 seven one five 16

Last edited by Buster : 04-10-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Birmingham AL
I just purchased an RV-6. I'm a high time, recently retired military pilot, CFI. 200 hrs tail wheel. Insurance requires a signoff by a CFI, and any RV counts. My airplane is out of state, so we need an airplane as well. Can travel to you, prefer within 300 mi. Please PM if you can help. Or better yet call cell Two oh 5 5 8 seven one five 16
If you’re asking the cfi (or anyone, for that matter) to supply the airplane, they will need to hold a waiver (“LODA”) of the “may not be used for compensation or hire” rule (assuming this is not free). A better plan, imho, might be to locate a cfi close to where your new airplane is. Fly there commercially, get the sign off, fly it home.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:51 PM

Default CFI

Another idea is to hire a CFI to fly the plane back with you..
Old 04-10-2018, 05:13 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF

Cliff------congrats on the new bird, and welcome to VAF

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 04-10-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Birmingham AL

I might be able to help with this. Where’s the airplane located? I’m in Texas, CFI with an Rv6
Old 04-11-2018, 06:27 AM

Thanks for the help guys. It looks like I'll fly out to Oregon, and get the checkout. I had wanted to do that near here where the weather is more predictable.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the help guys. It looks like I'll fly out to Oregon, and get the checkout. I had wanted to do that near here where the weather is more predictable.
Jan Bussell in florida is a good option, and closer than Oregon with better weather. www.rv6flyjan.com

Did my transition training with him.

Chris
Old 04-11-2018, 07:10 AM

Default CFI

My son and I (both former military pilots) used Kent Gordon outside of Atlanta. He had a RV6 we used for the checkout and it was a great experience. I have his contact info if you need it. Just PM me.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:14 AM

In the same boat, discussing with someone who is a CFI with a 7A at my local airport. Payment would be of the gas & multi-$100 hamburger lunch category. I seem to be stuck with his insurance having the standard "can't be used for instruction or dual training purposes" clause. Aside from formal training from a LODA-carrying instructor, can't this be fulfilled by me logging as a non-PIC passenger and him just signing my book, or me as PIC? I remember other transition training I took for other planes, I just logged it as PIC time and a CFI signature of the "transition training completed" type, not dual.
N112SB reserved
IO-320 w/EFII and Catto 3-blade
Beringer brakes/wheels/tires
Dual G3X Touch (Stein's bankrupted me!)
Emp - DONE! (90%) (9 mos, 4 days)
Wings - DONE! (90%) (1 yr, 2 mos)
Fuselage - Almost Done
Finish - Engine Prep and misc
AT THE AIRPORT!!! (KHAO)
=VAF= 2016 paid up
Old 04-11-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
One of the RV transition guys is in Vernonia Oregon Buster, Mr. Mike Seager Phone: 503-709-4075
e-mail: rv6cfi@hotmail.com

I would imagine he could do a simple sign off for someone of your flight experience. Maybe not...I do not know his disposition
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt