VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-09-2018, 05:51 PM

Default FS: DC Pro X headset (new price)

I am selling my David Clark Pro X ANR headset. These are the ones that fit on top of the ears. These weight (according to DC) 7.5 oz, 30db noise reduction, selectable stereo/mono with blue tooth. Bag included with new extra ear pads.

Sell $450. PM if interested. (Price reduced from $500)

Last edited by Tankerpilot75 : 04-12-2018 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Price reduced
Old 04-09-2018, 08:32 PM

I'm curious, Jim, about this headset type. If you don't mind, I'd welcome learning from your experiences with this model. Our aircraft, while not an RV, is on the same order of magnitude in terms of cabin noise level.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:00 PM

I wouldn't mind a pirep as well. I almost always fly with a hat and sunglasses, and between that and the skinny earseals on my Bose so much noise leaks in that they aren't very effective. I've wondered if in my situation in the on ear type would be better. If so, I'd be interested in yours.

DEM
Old 04-09-2018, 10:46 PM

I have a pair of these that I've flown for about 150 hours. They are not as quiet as the Bose, but a bit better than the full over-ear style DC's that don't have noise canceling. The good news is that they don't squeeze your head as much as the Bose (I have a wide noggin).

As an aside, your asking price might be a bit high for a used pair. While they can retail for $700, I got mine new on sale for $550 (technically $600 and a $50 gift card). For the right price I might pick up a second pair for a passenger, but otherwise would wait until they go on sale again.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:44 AM

We have 2 pairs in our RV7, the noise reduction is great, they are comfortable, lightweight and the Bluetooth is great for music etc.

However...

If you like stunting and bunting, they will fall off

That's why I am upgrading to One-X this season when deals are to be had.

Donated twice in 2017
Old 04-10-2018, 04:16 PM

Default My opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
I'm curious, Jim, about this headset type. If you don't mind, I'd welcome learning from your experiences with this model. Our aircraft, while not an RV, is on the same order of magnitude in terms of cabin noise level.
These are excellent ANR headsets! I’m selling them simply because I like my Zulu 3 headsets better - but they cost $850! I purchased the DC Pro X headset when flying a friend’s Bonanza because my instructor recommended them. I found out that headsets that fit on the ear are quite comfortable and DC’s dual ear mic noise canceling technology is quite good. They are definitely lightweight and wearing glasses do not interfere with their ANR activity. At the time I purchased these, I asked a DC rep if they were going to make an over the ear headset using the same technology and he was “evasive.” Now DC makes the One X headset, which in my humble opinion is quieter than the Bose headset. The Pro X headsets are just slightly less quieting than the One X model.

However, because my hearing sucks from too many years flying military jets I wanted great ANR - AND the “feel” that over the ear headsets provides - therefore the Zulu 3s won out. It’s personal preference that’s all.

I honestly think these are great ANR headsets, worth every penny I’m asking for them, but they’re not for everyone. Especially if your a bit of a curmudgeon like myself.

Last edited by Tankerpilot75 : 04-10-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankerpilot75 View Post
I honestly think these are great ANR headsets, worth every penny I’m asking for them, but they’re not for everyone. Especially if your a bit of a curmudgeon like myself.
Not sure how many people here would consider 9% less than the new (sale) price a good deal, but I hope you find a buyer.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Not sure how many people here would consider 9% less than the new (sale) price a good deal, but I hope you find a buyer.
I guess the market will have to decide. I still say my price is fair but if interested pm me with a reasonable offer. Otherwise, like someone once told me when I commented about the asking price of something on VAF, keep your comments private!
Old 04-10-2018, 09:40 PM

Thanks for the excellent feedback.

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool DC fan (have been since I bought my first pair in 1981!) but I have come to recognize the limited noise reduction of the typical DC's, and have come to enjoy the high comfort factor of earplug-style headsets.

I'd love to go back to the legendary reliability of DC products, but without sacrificing comfort or hearing protection. The opinions expressed here confirm that I need to get my ears between some of DC's new technology. Thanks!
Old 04-11-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
Thanks for the excellent feedback.

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool DC fan (have been since I bought my first pair in 1981!) but I have come to recognize the limited noise reduction of the typical DC's, and have come to enjoy the high comfort factor of earplug-style headsets.

I'd love to go back to the legendary reliability of DC products, but without sacrificing comfort or hearing protection. The opinions expressed here confirm that I need to get my ears between some of DC's new technology. Thanks!
Frankly, I think all three major ANR brands are good. IMHO I think it all boils down to personal preference, how comfortable the headset feels on your head, what your use to, and price. For most of us who suffer from moderate to severe hearing loss an ANR headset is mandatory - but the difference in clarity is minimal. As they say about so many things: Form, fit and comfort.