VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-08-2018, 04:58 PM

Luc,
Iím a -12 owner/builder. I have had several opportunities to take a close look at the Sling (at F70 where a few have been assembled)). Very impressive! There is also an optional recovery parachute, if that safety feature is important to you. If I had it to do over again, the sling would be very high on the list.
Alex
RV-12 #120758, N912AE
Flying as of 4/28/15
Paid through December, 2018
Old 04-08-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexe View Post
. . . I’m a -12 owner/builder. I have had several opportunities to take a close look at the Sling (at F70 where a few have been assembled)). Very impressive! There is also an optional recovery parachute, if that safety feature is important to you. If I had it to do over again, the sling would be very high on the list.
Those that have built the Sling 2, also, closely, considered the RV-12. They have reported that the quality of the kit is excellent.
That speaks for itself.

The two airplanes can be compared next week at Sun n' Fun.

Last edited by Driftdown : 04-08-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:50 PM

From Sling Factory website... The Slingís flying characteristics make for a perfectly coordinated, highly responsive control setup. This gives her the distinct qualities of a fighter jet aircraft, while not being overly sensitive. Aviation writers have called it ďthe best-handling LSAĒ and said that it ďhandles like a fighterĒ.

This followed by photo of plane in 45 degree banking turn approx 50' elevation and hundreds of feet left of runway centerline.

I think maybe a better story could be told...
-
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2004
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 391

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks
Old 04-10-2018, 08:31 PM

Got to say I appreciate the fact that we can have threads like this and not be slammed for talking about the other guy. It is very helpful in getting different perspectives as I still figure out what I am going to do.

Far too many of the other places I visit will get a thread shut down under the auspices of going off topic. Aka donít talk about anything but us.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:43 PM

Without question, the RV-12 is certainly a fine little airplane.
That withstanding, I think competition is a good thing for consumers, as well as, the light sport industry in general.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:22 AM

Probably a little unfair to compare the Sling 2 and the RV-12 too closely as the Sling is not primarily an LSA since it's designed to the VLA standard. It can meet the LSA criteria but has to give up 100kg of load capacity to comply with the 600 kg (1320lb) LSA limit. However, it is certainly a nice looking aircraft with some impressive long distance flights to its name and reportedly excellent handling qualities. I haven't flown one but have had a close look at one built locally.
Was seriously thinking about building one instead of the 12 a few years ago but it was quite a new design at the time from a small company in South Africa that I didn't know much about so decided against it. Besides, it wasn't an RV.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:16 AM

Default Parts availability

One thing to consider when deciding between the two aircraft is the availability of spare parts.

One Aeroclub I'm a member of has 2 Slings; fantastic aircraft by all accounts although I've not flown one.

We recently had an issue with a pilot overusing the brakes which consequently transmitted excessive heat into the gear leg.

AUD$6000 later and $2000 to remove and refit and it was airborne again.

Vans can be pretty much ordered off the shelf...
Old 04-11-2018, 07:11 PM

Default Spare parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhun View Post
One thing to consider when deciding between the two aircraft is the availability of spare parts.

One Aeroclub I'm a member of has 2 Slings; fantastic aircraft by all accounts although I've not flown one.

We recently had an issue with a pilot overusing the brakes which consequently transmitted excessive heat into the gear leg.

AUD$6000 later and $2000 to remove and refit and it was airborne again.

Vans can be pretty much ordered off the shelf...
Sorry for any blinding statements of the obvious. Like many of you all, I owned an European Built SLSA and at the time it had the most SLSA aircraft in the field, and, just ok, US support. I felt unsupported as far as; long, long, long, order ship time. “The parts are always en route, in some container, somewhere”. Eventually the parts arrived. But thoughts of unloading had formed. Felt kinda naked for parts and unique systems support. I guess I could have devalued it and gone ELSA. I sold it and went with VAN’s just because of their Fantastic and richly deserved reputation for superior engineering and parts support. I hope my last SLSA company gets back in the competition, don’t think they can without an ELSA/EAB entry. Perhaps Sting and VANs could merge/blend their wares, cut the price point, and run away with the training market? They could do what the CUB did for GA way back when..Last note; I’d have hoped that new high wing cousin of VANs could have done that, but good parts and support can’t makeup for small usefull loads. All before just MHO. Doug

Last edited by AirHound : 04-11-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHound View Post
. . . Perhaps Sting and VANs could merge/blend their wares, cut the price point, and run away with the training market?
Just for clarification . . . did you mean "Sting" or "Sling?" They are two entirely different outfits.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:42 AM

While I certainly donít mind reading reports on here about competitive options, I donít have any regrets having recently started my RV 12 project. While this aircraft certainly looks nice, I donít see that the potential advantages outweigh the potential disadvantages. This is just my opinion and I respect others who have a different opinion.

As far as being able to get an SLSA sooner than the RV 12is, if thatís your number one criteria then move forward. But if you plan to own the aircraft for a while, you have to be taking some risk there with Vans vs the competition in regards to long term support. Again, the support from other manufacturers may be outstanding and I hope it is. But for me there is no question what kind of support youíll get from Vans. Iíve already had technical questions and needed to order replacement parts that I messed up and the response has been second to none.

Donít get me wrong, I love seeing options and I considered many others when I was doing my research. As someone else said, competition is good. But I am still glad I chose the RV 12 for my project.
Tail kit in progress
ULS Fuse kit next