VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-08-2018, 10:35 AM

Default Sling 2 vs RV-12

Hey all! Being an RV enthusiast like most of us, I came across the Sling 2 recently and was wondering if anyone on this forum ever done an extensive comparison between both, i.e.: build time, kit quality, instructions quality, builder proficiency requirement level, support (company, forum, etc.), prices... And of course the usual aircraft handling components, i.e.: range, performance, cost per hour, reliability, winter/summer conditions, etc.

Maybe someone here had the chance to build both?

Thanks.,
Luc.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovalKid View Post
Hey all! Being an RV enthusiast like most of us, I came across the Sling 2 recently and was wondering if anyone on this forum ever done an extensive comparison between both, i.e.: build time, kit quality, instructions quality, builder proficiency requirement level, support (company, forum, etc.), prices... And of course the usual aircraft handling components, i.e.: range, performance, cost per hour, reliability, winter/summer conditions, etc.

Maybe someone here had the chance to build both?
That's an excellent question.
The Sling 2 is starting to gain traction in North America.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:13 AM

Default Sling 2

After I finish my RV-12 I plan to build the Sling-4 and power it with a Vikingaircraftengine.com. The Sling aircraft are on par with Van,s with the addition of their software program. For the Sling 2 I would stay with Van,s RV-12
Old 04-08-2018, 11:27 AM

A quick look shows Sling 2 at 820# empty, so if built ELSA, then useful is 500#. Add 39 gallons of fuel @ 249# and you only have 250 lbs left for two people & luggage.

The RV-12iS is 775# empty with 545# useful. 20 gallons fuel @ 126# leaves 419# for two people & luggage which is more doable with Americans packing on the pounds on these days...
PPL/ASEL 1970 Sport Pilot since 2004
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 318

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks
Old 04-08-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
A quick look shows Sling 2 at 820# empty, so if built ELSA, then useful is 500#. Add 39 gallons of fuel @ 249# and you only have 250 lbs left for two people & luggage.
A closer look at the Sling 2 perhaps . . . you are aware the Sling 2 can be built and registered as E-AB, right?
Fuel capacity is 39.6 usg, but that doesn't mean you have to fill it up. Figure 20 gal@3.8 gph. (912iS)=5.26 hrs.
In E-AB configuration, it has a MTOW of 1540 lbs. E-LSA or E-AB, that is the designed and engineered weight.
Those that are currently building the Sling 2 are also choosing to equip the airplane for IFR. Garmin G3X and GTN 650 (GPS RNAV, VOR and ILS).
Engine choices are 912 ULS, 912iS and 914.
For an additional $17,000, a quick build option is available.
Slider canopy is standard. It is a great looking airplane.
I see a viable competitor there, with the RV-12.

Last edited by Driftdown : 04-08-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftdown View Post
A closer look at the Sling 2 perhaps . . . you are aware the Sling 2 can be built and registered as E-AB, right?
In that configuration, it has a MTOW of 1540 lbs. E-LSA or E-AB, that is the designed and engineered weight.
Those that are currently building the Sling 2 are also choosing to equip the airplane for IFR.
Engine choices are 912 ULS, 912iS and 914.
For an additional $17,000, a quick build option is available.
Slider canopy is standard. It is a great looking airplane.
I see a viable competitor there, with the RV-12.
Having ďbuilt and supported in USAĒ is a major plus point for me..
Tho RVN)
Distinguished Flying Cross Society Member
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"
Rotax 9 Series Service IRMT

RV-12 Kit#729 "N312RD" is now a full functioning fun machine!! Thanks Van for fulfilling my dream😎
2018 Dues Paid
Old 04-08-2018, 01:21 PM

I visited both factories late last year. I was looking to purchase the factory SLSA version of the -12iS. Sadly, Vanís didnít have any pricing for the new RV-12 iS SLSA. I was told October, which then became January. To date, I havenít seen anything on pricing for the factory built iS, although kits are available. Bad business decision IMO.

Luckily I scheduled a visit to TAF the same week. The Sling 2 flys just as nicely as the -12. Very stable in both pitch and roll. Like the -12, the Sling meets the top end of all LSA parameters. The biggest difference, it looks and feels way more solid than the -12 and most other SLSAís Iíve demoíd. Both Vanís and TAF got it right. I flew it, I bought one, awaiting delivery. Had I opted for the RV, Iíd still be waiting, most probably sometime the end Ď18 or early Ď19.

From what Iíve seen of their (TAF) kits, there quality is excellent, better When you add the addition of the app to assist parts tracking.

You wonít be sorry with either.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom30 View Post
Having ďbuilt and supported in USAĒ is a major plus point for me..
Yet you have a European engine in your RV12!
Wings and Fuselage finished.
Avionics and wiring finished
Canopy and cowlings in progress.
http://harrysrv.blogspot.co.uk
Old 04-08-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV12JT View Post
I visited both factories late last year. I was looking to purchase the factory SLSA version of the -12iS. Sadly, Vanís didnít have any pricing for the new RV-12 iS SLSA. I was told October, which then became January. To date, I havenít seen anything on pricing for the factory built iS, although kits are available. Bad business decision IMO.

Luckily I scheduled a visit to TAF the same week. The Sling 2 flys just as nicely as the -12. Very stable in both pitch and roll. Like the -12, the Sling meets the top end of all LSA parameters. The biggest difference, it looks and feels way more solid than the -12 and most other SLSAís Iíve demoíd. Both Vanís and TAF got it right. I flew it, I bought one, awaiting delivery. Had I opted for the RV, Iíd still be waiting, most probably sometime the end Ď18 or early Ď19.

From what Iíve seen of their (TAF) kits, there quality is excellent, better When you add the addition of the app to assist parts tracking.

You wonít be sorry with either.
Good report.
Thank you.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV12JT View Post
To date, I haven’t seen anything on pricing for the factory built iS, although kits are available. Bad business decision IMO.
It has also been learned (by experience) that issuing info (particularly pricing) before it has been nailed down is bad for business.

Technically, only partial kits are currently available for the RV-12iS. Someone can not purchase a complete kit and take delivery of the entire thing at once.

That makes it hard to price out what a completed S-LSA version will cost since it is essentially built from the standard kit.
Fortunately, development progress has been able to stay ahead of the rapid progress E-LSA kit builders have been making. the powerplant kit prices are now on the web site and the last kit (avionics) is being finalized right now.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")