VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-02-2018, 05:53 PM

Regarding this SB, can anyone explain why the carbs need to be sync'd once the new springs are installed? The springs can be installed without missing with the throttle cables.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:21 PM

OK, here's my take on it: One of the functions of the carb springs is to maintain a consistent tension on the two throttle cables -- this serves to reduce any free-play or slack in the two cables thus making dual carb action more consistent and smoother. The new coiled springs likely exert a slightly different force on the cables than the former tension springs. The rebalancing of the carbs (both mechanical and pneumatic) reestablishes the appropriate cable tensions for the new-style coiled springs.
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 650+ hours (as of July 2018)!
VAF donation through June 2019.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:49 PM

Nothing to do with spring force......

The carb sync adjustments, when doing it precisely, ends with very small adjustments being made to the cables.

The fit of the arms to the throttle shafts on the carburetors is not close tolerance by any means. The length of the lever arm multiplies the slop in the arm/shaft interface.
Since the arms have to be removed from the shafts to install the new springs, it is highly unlikely that the arms can be just reinstalled and fly.

It is a standard practice when doing carb inspections to remove the throttle and choke lever arms from the carb. so that the carb can be removed without disturbing the cable adjustment (this is taught in the Line Maintenance class).
It is also standard practice that the carb sync must be checked (and usually adjusted) when the carb's are reinstalled.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 04-03-2018, 08:39 AM

Thanks for the response. After installing the new springs I ran the engine and discovered the idle RPM had changed. I would agree, tolerance at the linkage attach point is enough to require a carb re-sync.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:22 PM

This is an easy SB to do. Once cowl was off probably only took 1/2 an hour. The carb sync always takes me awhile with getting up to temperature and then trial and error in and out of the plane. Thought tension was too weak to pull to full throttle until I tried it out in flight. Works great.
RV-12 #120515, 319RV now over 240 hours.
RV-9A, 536 hours sold, RV-7 sold, Kitfox sold
Old 04-03-2018, 04:08 PM

I couldn’t find the torque spec for the throttle arm nut in the latest Rotax Illustrared Parts Catalog. I did, however, find a spec in an older German version of the manual - 44 in lbs.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1393 View Post
Looking at the revised instructions on 50-05, it appears the new spring is put on differently than the old type.

Bob1393
Yes. Those of us with older plans will need to download and print out 50-5 Revision 5.

Jeff