- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatflieg View Post
SNIP....
My panel only requires one GPS antenna and has no standby compass. I got two free fans from Leo Knowlden, so I was going for symmetry there. I do like the thought of using smaller fans, though. ...SNIP
Keep in mind that the panel you have today will change with time. My first RV-8A had 5 different panel confirguraions in 15 years. The RV-10s first panel lasted just 18 months, and the second panel has been modified twice so far. You will find things to change and who knows what tomorrow brings for avionics.

My point, consider just one smaller fan and the one GPS antenna for now. That leaves your with options to add down the road as compared to two fans when only one is needed.

BTW - fans are dirt cheap. I got a dozen for $20.

Carl
Old 03-18-2018, 06:11 PM

Martin - Iím travelling now so sorry I canít post a picture. Iíll PM you one when I get back wk after next. My Garmin GPS antenna is on centerline about half way between the edge of the instrument panel and the windscreen. No fans though.
RV-8 IO375, Hartzell CS, dual PMags.
Dues paid thru Dec 22, 2018
Old 03-18-2018, 08:02 PM

I covered my entire glairshield with "loop Velcro" and just stuck my antennas, gate opener, and pen up there.

The black Velcro feels like felt and has held up very well.

Contact me off list, I bought a bolt of the stuff years ago and have been selling to builders and may still have some left over.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 03-18-2018, 09:07 PM

Now the velcro loop idea doesn't sound half bad. The more I think about it the more I like it. It is kind of like a custom dash mat they sell for automobiles but with a true pupose.

Just when I thought I'd heard of everything. Thanks Bill R.

I might just try it.

Jim
Old 03-19-2018, 06:54 AM

I was wondering about having them in my vision, I fly a Champ with an aera sitting on the glaresheild and I don't even see it unless I'm looking at it. Sitting in the cockpit of the -8, I'm comfortable that they will not bother me. Especially if I paint them.

Manual says DO NOT PAINT, but was told by a respected authority that a thin coat of flat black would not be a problem. Makes sense considering some put them under the cowl.

I could not completely get the 3" recommended distance from windscreen, but did get the recommended minimum spacing between them.

As you can see it's not flying yet, but I don't expect any problems. We shall see.
N446PH RV8 (reserved)
Old 03-19-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
I covered my entire glairshield with "loop Velcro" and just stuck my antennas, gate opener, and pen up there.

The black Velcro feels like felt and has held up very well.
I did this too - works great - looks sharp
Dues paid!
Old 03-19-2018, 10:01 AM

Default what we did.

WE put a constant card compass in the middle of the glair-shield, then put the puck up on the skin just to the left of the front Baggage. It work grate up there and is away from any heat or "EMF". There is very little drag on the tear-drop pucks anyway at that sight. We also have a location over the rear hat rack just as you see in the other above posts. That one is for the back up GPS to fall back on. Just what we did and it work quite well. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888
Old 05-04-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dickens View Post
Mine is located under the cowling so can't help with your specific question, but be aware that some GPS manufacturers require a minimum decibel loss (usually caused by the length of coax between the receiver and the antenna) in the coax. Mounting it on the glare shield will require you to engineer that into the installation.
Looks like all Garmin installations require some cable loss, 1.5db to 3db min, 7db max etc. So instead of running 20' of cable (and weight) why cant we use a $10 5-1500Mhz satellite splitter,
dumping one side into a 50ohm termination and the other to the GPS receiver? That puts the antenna on the glare shield as desired......(?)
N251Y (res)
Dec2017

Last edited by maniago : 05-04-2018 at 10:20 AM.