Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2018, 11:20 PM

Yet another way to do it. I wanted to be able to use it in the future when I do aerobatics but for now I just want it secured but still have it coming through the panel.

The bolt in the first picture can be replaced with a pin in the future. For flight with parachutes, pull the pin before closing the canopy. It will be part of the aerobatic checklist.

but it still comes through the panel. The hole in the panel has been relocated slightly lower.

Built and Flying RV-14A N626KM SN 140093 http://n626km.com
Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com
Old 03-31-2018, 06:12 PM

When I built my -6 tip-up I installed the stock release handle, in flight egress was a no brainer "pull the handle". I decided that in an off field/water landing that I would release the canopy just prior to touchdown. With my -7 slider, inflight egress would be to unlatch canopy and figure it will go "away" in some form or another. For an off field/water landing I installed 3/16"x3/4" McMaster quick release pins in the forward canopy rollers in place of stock AN3 bolts. The plan would be to remove the pins sometime during the approach and just prior to touchdown, unlatch the canopy and slide aft. Again, figuring it will go away in some form or another. Hope I never have to test my theory!

Another thought in the event of an overturned a/c was to relocate the fuel vents to the wing root fairings to prevent fuel from running down the belly into the hot firewall/exhaust area. I used a 3 loop setup that I am told the Rocket guys use, no problems so far.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 150+ hrs.
IO-360M1B MT 3 blade, Dual AFS 5600.
1941 J3 Cub
2018 dues paid.