- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2016, 04:15 PM

Default SA

I have been using Seattle Avionics data in my Skyview for about seven months. I have not had any issues.
Guthrie-Edmond Rgnl, OK (KGOK)
________
Old 06-05-2016, 04:30 PM

Default Fine Product - Crappy Update

I just don't get it. SA has a great product that works seamlessly with my awesome Skyview system - once it's uploaded. But, the download application is horrible. Updating takes HOURS! What other modern computer application takes that long to do ANYTHING? And, if I'm doing something wrong, where are the SA people addressing the issue? I've sent them emails, called, and written here before. The answer? It is what it is.

If there were another solution to place geo-referenced approach plates on my Skyview display, I'd pay twice what I pay for the Seattle Avionics product just to avoid the update headache!
Sharing RV-7A N6907W (Based at Plant City - KPCM)
Flying an A320 to pay the bills
Exempt and gladly donating anyway - Current through Jan 2019
Old 06-05-2016, 05:30 PM

Smile Seattle Avionics

I have been using the SA data in my Skyview For over a year. Also use their FlyQ on my IPad . All seems to work OK. Really like uploading a flight plan directly into Skyview. I load data in the faster USB port on my laptop and rotate three sets of mini data thumb drives. Takes a little while to load but it does it all in the background so no big deal. I've used it in IMC numerous times.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:39 PM

Nobody ever said that the data does not work in SkyView.

It is the arcane download procedure taking several hours unless you stick to a single state update and even then it is as though those folks at SA are using a dial up connection.
If they were to send you the data on paper in the mail, you'd probably be faster to enter it manually with key strokes vs. a download.

On the other hand, ForeFlight providing even more data will upload with a single push of a button in less than 5 minutes.

I simply don't understand how those SA folks can stay in business.
Over 2500 Gallons of E10 mogas burned
Don't believe everything you know.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:07 AM

I have been using SA for a few years now and have a subscription thru 2019 as I bought some of the cheap promos. I like it other than the download speeds. Lately, I have been using usb 3.0 which seems faster than 2.0. Also, I have two usbs, one I just leave in the computer all the time and the other in the plane. When my maps expire I just grab the one out of the computer and switch it out with the other.

I also use ff.

RV 7 N324TP IO 360 A1A
Flying since 7/2012
Ferry Pilot Services Available
www.alpharomeoaviation.com
Old 06-06-2016, 01:14 PM

I recently purchased a lifetime SA Dynon chartdata subscription. I've been happy with them in general and they have always treated me well. I got a great deal on FlyQ at sun-n-fun a few years back. I've also spoken with them over the phone and by email several times and I have only good things to say.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:04 PM

Its the downloads only the downloads. I'm computer illiterate so I have a problem every month. Usually the only way I can get it to work is to remove everything from the thumb drive and reload each time. It will will usually take from breakfast till lunch to get 6 states downloaded. Just don't try to do it when you're in a hurry before a trip.

PS: charts work great with Skyview.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:51 PM

I'm also a SA user and I have a mac running parallels. Not the prettiest solution but since I had parallels anyway, it does seem to work pretty well. There is a free windows emulator out there (step by step) and windows seems to be giving 10 away for free these days.

If you have a gig line, it is very fast with the latest revisions.

I just reformatted two 32 gig flash drives and both of them updated for everything for all 12 western states plates, VFR, low IFR in about 10-15 minutes each.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:23 AM

Default Been a subscriber for 18 months - no issues

I rotate USB drives always keeping one plunged into my PC. The latest updates are always there when I need them, so no issues.

9A - 92129 / N1354J First Flight 5/2/2015
Dues paid
Old 06-07-2016, 12:36 PM

Unhappy

We use SA for the SkyView in one of our TeenFlight airplanes and the only problem we have is the download utility.

We rotate 2 usb sticks and always have one in the computer to receive the updates. The download utility works good for refreshing the PC with updated data, however their process for syncing the usb with the data just downloaded has some gremlins.

I've had issues with the utility program showing that the data on the usb stick has not been updated when it had been (i.e. I loaded into skyview and verified good) and sometimes it shows that the data on the usb stick is updated to the data on the PC but I can verify that it hasn't. So, it's a 1/3 chance that I get 2 green indicators that both the usb and pc data truly match.

After toggling things on/off, I can usually get it to reset. Otherwise, I have to reformat the usb stick and start over.
http://facebook.com/teenflightpuyallup

EAA Chapter #326
Puget Sound, WA
RV-9A
Aerosport (Superior XP) IO-320 C/S, Precision Eagle EMS