- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2016, 12:09 PM

Default Seattle Avionics Users

I sure would like to hear from some of you who are using the Seattle Avionics suite on your Skyview system. I am considering it primarily to make it easier to load approach plate fixes for VFR flying of IFR approaches. I can load the waypoints from the Dynon furnished fixes, but I still have to carry approach plates to identify things like the IAF, FAF, and missed approach waypoints. It's really a lot of fun, and it good practice to fly the HSI, track my progress on the Dynon moving map, and to hear our Dynon girl tell, me that I am approaching a waypoint. I am really pleased with the Dynon mapping, and now with ADS-B installed, the traffic and weather are a bonus. I'm just looking for an easier way of loading the approach into a flight plan. Any thoughts, or experience would be greatly appreciated. Also, are there any other plusses and minuses to adding the SA charts and plates that I should consider?

Thanks in advance...........Tom
2013- RV12, Kit #119. N123M First flight Nov21. It's a keeper!
1998- RV-9 tail kit, built and sold
1989- RV-6 tail kit, built and sold
Old 06-04-2016, 12:59 PM

You better not be using a Mac: The download of the Seattle files on a Mac take about a year. PC is zippity do dah. I gave up after they told me to use a PC program on my Mac...ain't gonna happen.

I went to ForeFlight instead which talks to the SV via WiFi and includes a whole bunch of stuff Seattle does't support or supply.

They are nice people but I don't think they will compete.

EBB
Old 06-04-2016, 01:24 PM

After being an unhappy SA customer for a couple of years
I am now a happy none customer.
I have never found a complaint for Dynon except their choice to have
SA provide data for their units.
ForeFlight is everything you want and a lot more.
Downloads (the source of everyone's complaints against SA)
Is a none event with ForeFlight.
Over 2500 Gallons of E10 mogas burned
Don't believe everything you know.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:07 PM

Default Another dissatisfied S.A. customer

Like Ernst above, I've been an unhappy Seattle Avionics customer for two years. And like Ernst mentions, downloads have been a problem -- a major problem although not the only problem.

I'm using Avare on my Google Nexus 7 (2013) Android tablet and it's superior in many ways. I use the geo-referenced approach plates to fly approaches in VFR conditions. I find the Avare sectionals considerably more useful and readable because my single 10-inch SkyView screen is crowded displaying the PFD and EMS, leaving very little screen space for the actual chart.

Avare, the charts and approaches, and their updates are totally free. I would steer clear of SA and avoid the frustration that comes with their charts on the Dynon SkyView.

--
Joe

Joe Dubner
RV-8A
Independence, OR
Old 06-04-2016, 04:15 PM

I have a friend practicing IFR approaches on my RV-12 and using me as his SIC (for safety while he is under the hood). You don't need anything more than the Skyview to do that as all reference points of the plates are known by Skyview. You just enter them on your flight plan and follow the plan manually or have the Auto Pilot do it.

Builder's name: Jean-Pierre Bernoux
Sport Pilot
Kit # 120395 N124BX
Flying as of 9/11/2013

Builder's Blog:http://vieilleburette.blogspot.com/
EAA 1114
Old 06-04-2016, 09:52 PM

Default SA Works Great!

I've been watching the negative posts about Seattle Avionics for quite some time.

I am a "lifetime" subscriber to SA charts, FlyQ, and FlyQ Mobile. SA now supports WiFi to Dynon and AFS EFIS. The charting data works very well and with the Geo-referencing, navigation - both IFR & VFR is virtually a no-brainer.

There are choices in the market for people to use what works for them. I've never used ForeFlight. I've had no reason to because Seattle Avionics works - for me.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 622BH View Post
I've been watching the negative posts about Seattle Avionics for quite some time.

I am a "lifetime" subscriber to SA charts, FlyQ, and FlyQ Mobile. SA now supports WiFi to Dynon and AFS EFIS. The charting data works very well and with the Geo-referencing, navigation - both IFR & VFR is virtually a no-brainer.

There are choices in the market for people to use what works for them. I've never used ForeFlight. I've had no reason to because Seattle Avionics works - for me.
+1
I have no issues or complaints with the Seattle Avionics products I use.
Based at 1H0 (Creve Coeur)
Paid dues yearly since 2007
Old 06-05-2016, 06:19 AM

Thanks guys. It sounds like there are a few satisfied customers, but lot of unhappy ones as well.

And a few follow up comments, as well:

I am using PC, and not android, so update performance should not be an issue, and my other cockpit companion is an iPad mini.

Jean-Pierre, It sounds like you and your buddy are doing exactly what I am doing, which is building the approaches into a flight plan, and it does work pretty neat. Again, the problem is that I still need an approach chart to pick out the waypoints, IAF, FAF, etc. Where does your buddy get that info without a chart handy?
Old 06-05-2016, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todehnal View Post
Again, the problem is that I still need an approach chart to pick out the waypoints, IAF, FAF, etc. Where does your buddy get that info without a chart handy?
Have you looked at fltplan.com and FltPlan GO? Free online, Android and IOS services. I've been using the online & Android apps for about a year and they've had everything I've needed. Great customer service, too.
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845; first flight 06/10/2015
RV-12 N918EN ELSA #120995 Eagles Nest Project
SPA Panther N26TK in progress
Old 06-05-2016, 12:20 PM

Thanks Tom, that fltplan go is pretty nifty.........Tom