Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2018, 02:46 PM

I now feel dumb for having already drilled the holes for the UAT antenna in the tail skin. I thought it was intended for the transmitter side of that whole affair. The supplied cord is 15 feet long, give or take a few inches. I will have to debate covering it up or finding a VOR antenna that will work in that location.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheari View Post
I now feel dumb for having already drilled the holes for the UAT antenna in the tail skin. I thought it was intended for the transmitter side of that whole affair. The supplied cord is 15 feet long, give or take a few inches. I will have to debate covering it up or finding a VOR antenna that will work in that location.
I've researched this and many recommend "cat whisker" style antenna in this location. I like that option better than on the V-stab. Archer in wingtip is an option as well.
https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/
Old 04-15-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnerb View Post
I've researched this and many recommend "cat whisker" style antenna in this location. I like that option better than on the V-stab. Archer in wingtip is an option as well.
The wingtip option seems like less drag, and any difference in reception is justifiable since I won’t use the nav radio much (but do want it so I can always fly an approach or navigate in case of GPS outage).

But the useless holes in the fuselage will bug me.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopercod View Post
That's going to give you a pretty long coax length. IIRC, the installation instructions on my GTX-327 read "11' max".
The GTX 45R manual doesn’t seem to specify a maximum cable length, so I should be okay to use the rear location.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
My RV-14 fuselage kit will be here in the next couple of weeks, and my tail cone is taking shape. I figure that now is an appropriate time to think about adding doublers for antennas. The kit already seems to accommodate two comm antennas on the belly, a transponder/ADS-B antenna on the bottom of the tail, and the ELT antenna inside the baggage area.

I am planning to have a GTN 650, a GMA 245R, and a G3X Touch with SiriusXM. My understanding is that I will need the following antennas in addition to those that the kit provides for, as listed above:

1. VOR/LOC/GS
2. GPS for GTN 650 (GA 35)
3. GPS/XM for G3X Touch (GA 57X)

I'm not the first one doing this, by any stretch of the imagination. So, please show me where you mounted these antennas on your RV. Thanks!
My avionics : G3X Touch (x2) / GTN650 / GTX35R / GTR 20R / G5 ...
The antennas : GTN650: GA35 / GTR Com2 + GTN Com1 : 2 Comant Ci 122 (belly) / VOR : Bob Archer (wing tip) / 2 GA 26C for GDU and G5 (under upper cowl).

RV 14A - #140252 - emp, cone, fuse, wings, avionics done - Gear and engine in progress
France
2018 dues paid
Old 04-16-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
The GTX 45R manual doesn’t seem to specify a maximum cable length, so I should be okay to use the rear location.
Not a great idea unless your xpdr is in the back, you still have to pass a xpdr cert which requires 125w minimum output at the antenna. Typically 1.5db cable loss is the spec for xpdrs which is about 6' for RG400. Make it longer at your own risk.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old Today, 10:46 AM

I guess to be safe it makes the most sense to put the transponder antenna in the location under the baggage compartment, as appears to be shown in part F-01484 on page 29-02.

I am also leaning toward the Archer VOR antenna in the wingtip, for minimum drag. There aren't any good VOR antennas that would cover up my drilled part anyhow.

So now the question is what to do about the holes I drilled in F-01479 and the coax cable that I pulled back to that location. Any ideas from the much wiser, more experienced builders out there?